GPMAZ

Staff member
Greetings All,

Finally completed my registration here and wanted to say hello. I bought an R3T a few months ago and have a little over 5,000 miles so far. After 20+ years of BMW's the R3T is quite a change.

I've added a few things including the taller windshield, solo seat with backrest and luggage rack, driving lights, accessory plug and GPS wiring. I also have the heated grips, but since they finally arrived on June 1, I haven't been in a hurry to install.

I also have a Tuneboy, sent a requested file to Wayne, and am waiting for some tunes to be available for the R3T. I will be changing out the exhaust when some more options become available.

Here's a pic from my weekend trip from Phoenix to Salt Lake City. Hope it isn't too big. The last day started out at around 40 degrees in Southern Utah and ended up at 112 degrees in Phoenix. Quite a difference. I had a Scangauge mounted under my GPS and saw water temps of around 215 running at anywhere from 65-80 in the Phoenix heat.

Link Removed

welcome aboard, and a beautiful bike. there are a few others waiting on the tune boy for the R3T as well. we keep hounding them they'll get it.

Welcome, I'm sure you'll love the R3 as much as or more than the BMW. I wish I could have been there with you on your ride the picture is great.
Bob:)

Welcome aboard Captain. A very very nice ride. I've been giving fleeting thoughts to trading in my Tourer for a Touring. 5,000 in only a few months...now that's some Touring!

That sure is a fine looking ride...I'm eye balling it closely.
Is that one of them thar sheep skinned gel pads? Have you chilled it in the frig and then enjoyed any long term cooling effects from it?

What about that extra tall wind screen? Is that OEM available, with the quick disconnect feature still intact.

Is that a mud guard extension on the front?

Does that duffle bag inflate to a one room cottage? :D

The dark undersides of the passenger foot boards are a darn site easier on the eyes than chromed aftermarkets.

I'd like to hear more about the Scangage. How well does it work with the Rocket?

Last edited:
That sure is a fine looking ride...I'm eye balling it closely.
Is that one of them thar sheep skinned gel pads? Have you chilled it in the frig and then enjoyed any long term cooling effects from it?

What about that extra tall wind screen? Is that OEM available, with the quick disconnect feature still intact.

Is that a mud guard extension on the front?

Does that duffle bag inflate to a one room cottage? :D

The dark undersides of the passenger foot boards are a darn site easier on the eyes than chromed aftermarkets.

I'd like to hear more about the Scangage. How well does it work with the Rocket?

Thanks for the welcome guys!!

Sharp eyes on the seat. Its an Alaska Leather sheepskin laid over a Butt Buffer (had both laying around the garage). Biggest reason for using both is so that I can easily look over the top of the tall screen. With just the seat alone I look through the screen, I prefer to look over.

The screen is a triumph accessory and exactly like the stocker, just 6 inches taller. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam and as I said I need a couple of inches added to the seat to look over the top.

Front fender is stock, no extension.

Duffle is a Bikers Friend XL. It has a solid plastic core that opens on both ends. Completely waterproof, and holds a bunch. I tend to take a lot of crap, (tools, tire pump and repair kit, oil, coolant, duct tape, zip ties, well you get the picture) and the extra storage is necessary. The stock bags are pretty good, but the latching mechanism takes up valuable space.

The Scangauge plugs into the OBD2 connector and gives you any DTC codes (and clears them), water temp, Intake Air Temp, Ignition Advance, Closed/Open Loop indicator, and a number of other things. You can get them on Ebay for around $150. It also gives you RPMs and since the Touring has no tach I thought that would be useful. Problem is it has about a two second refresh rate, so you see what your RPMs were two seconds ago.

I am curious about the tire wear after 5K, how is it holding up to all that torque (or is that tourerque). hmmmmm:eek:

I'm just about to the wear bars on the rear tire. I figure less than 1000 more miles. I'm planning to switch to Avon Cobra tires. I really liked Avons on my BMWs and any opportunity to try something different is a good thing.

Belated Greetings

Sorry for the late hello GP. Being an Ex BMW rider, and if you're anything like my "Beemer" riding buddies, I know you like those long, extended rides. Looks like you've got the perfect ride to do it with and I like the things you're doing to the R3T.

Keep us updated.

Back