rayjay

Nitrous
Ride
2012 roadster
Hi guys new to forum, have been a harley rider for many years currently ride a vrod muscle. Want to buy a new rocket 3. Heard about timing chain problems, gearbox problems and stalling. Sorry to start with such a heavy first post, but i want one of these real bad. I figured you guys would know of any probs.Thanks in advance.

Ride safe rj :D

Hey FNG!

The problems that you are describing are not systemic to the model. Not everyone is having those issues, much less all of those issues.

The earlier models have had problems, much like any new model, and Triumph has been very forthcoming in getting them addressed. I, for one, haven't had the timing chain issue (known as 'paint can rattle'), the stalling issue, or the final drive problems that others have experienced. I have a 2006 standard.

I have had minor annoyances with the gearbox. I'm taking my bike into the shop to have the 'upgrade kit' installed under warranty, even though I've been out of warranty for 11 months now.

The upgrade kit is nearly 200 parts that will be replaced. If you purchase a 2007-09, these parts are already fitted and there's no need for the upgrade kit. If you buy an older model, my first question would be has the kit been installed.

I have over 10k miles on mine and other are well over 30k.

If I had the option of 'doing it over again', I'd make the same choice in a NY minute. I've never had so much fun on two wheels.

rayjay,
I came to the R3 from 35 yrs. on h-d.
Every tattoo on my body is h-d.
You'll really like the R3.
No comparrison to the feel and ride.
No comparrison to the rush, at least not from a h-d.
Test ride one, but be sure to take your checkbook,
or you'll just have to make a second trip,
like I did.
Heck, I wasn't even looking for a bike,
I was looking for directions when I stopped in.
I've got an '07 standard,BLACK on BLACK of course.
I did have the rear output shaft prob,
Triumph fixed it, no chg.
Welcome to the site.
Alot of info here and if you like to go fast,
This is the place..

Thanks for the replies, i'm sorry to be a pain in the butt. I am going to buy new and it's going to be my long term bike are there any upgrades for 2010? and when are the 2010 models released. As you can see i don't know much about the rocket, except i want one real bad. Once again thanks in advance.

rayjay :D

Ususally the new model year is released in Dec and Jan.

Bikes made after 11/07 have all of the "up-graded" components. If it gives you any peace of mind, Triumph is very good about backing their product. I got the upgraded parts installing on my bike when it was 18 months past the 2 year warranty, all paid for by Triumph.

Thanks for the replies, i'm sorry to be a pain in the butt. I am going to buy new and it's going to be my long term bike are there any upgrades for 2010? and when are the 2010 models released. As you can see i don't know much about the rocket, except i want one real bad. Once again thanks in advance.

rayjay :D

Have you test driven an R3 yet? If so, how does it compare with your V-Rod?

Hey..welcome to the site. All I have to say is simply that Triumph is standing 100% behind any mechanical, electrical or electronic malfuncrions and it don't matter if the bike is in warranty or not. Just like Pig, I was out of warranty.

Now, I know that HD don't do that and HD has had recurring problems with poor castings and cam problems.

Buy a Rocket. Besides, it don't sound like it's spitting potatoes.:D

Back