• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eLLWOODgLEN

.020 Over
Ride
2016 Rocket Roadster
Hi there,
This is my intro/question thread.

A bit about me. Name is Glen, I’m 28 and currently transitioning from theenlisted Marine Corps to commissioned in the Navy. I have been riding motorcycles for 4 almost 5 years now. 1st motorcycle was a 2013 Scrambler with all dealer installed performancemods, I traded it in 1 month later for a 2012 Speed Triple R. I rode that with a gp can and tune and put 20k miles on it until it was stolen and totaled out. I took the ins money and paid some bills and bought an 82 Yamaha xj650rj to restore but as life goes... I want a bike to ride now!!

I test rode a 2016 Roadster and the peg position felt awkward compared to my Speedie and my knees touched the tank and bear claw (6’4” 220lb 34” measured inseam) so I passed. Also didn’t want the negative equity of a new bike.

I’m still hunting for a Rocket and have been looking at the classics. I have read the yearly differences but I’m looking for some clarity.

Here are my questions:
Will a classic have more leg room than the roadster? What if o change it to pegs?

By why year did Triumph fix the transmission issue?

Looking at an 07 Classic, any known issues to be aware of?

Thanks for the time, I’m looking forward to riding a rocket within the year.

If you are looking for a Classic with the factory upgrade you want a 2009 or 2008 with the last 6 digits of the Vin higher than 337294. If you are looking at older models ask the owner if it'sbeen upgraded, or get the vin and call Triumph.

Welcome from South Louisiana.

Each of the Rocket Models have their own personalities. I voted the 2012 and up for one reason. ABS is an awesome feature on the newer bikes. My problem at 5'8" with a 29 inseam is touching the ground. LOL

Congratulations on your commission and thank you for your service. I wish I had thought of going OTS when I was in the Air Force.

I am sure someone here will address your questions that are much more knowledgeable than I.

I have A 2016 with hiway pegs to get the feet forward if you want/need...I/m six two in my boots. Bike is beautiful...just sayin..

Thanks for your service, and welcome to the site. My vote is for the 2012+. You can ride a lot of miles without ABS with no issues, but the one time you need it, it’s worth every penny. In any case, sit on some, ride them, and get what fits you best.

I’m 6’5 with a 34-36 inseam depending on brand. The Roadster can be uncomfortable but the Rivco pegs makes a world of difference. The biggest difference was a Corbin dualtour seat. You sit lower and a bit forward, but it is so much more comfortable. I rode 1300 miles from Houston to Miami in 2 14 hour days and barely had to use the Rivco’s

*Sorry, 2 days and total seat time was about 20 hours*

Welcome aboard from Adelaide Australia and good luck with the hunt for a Rocket. There will be plenty of opinions here. I am 6.2 and have a 2017 R3R and it is a good fit and a hoot to ride

I'm 6'2" and around 200 lbs. Yes it is a "fat" tank, but it is a BIG motorcycle. The tank turned me off, when the Rocket first came out. Reminded me of the ugly Boss Hoss tanks. However, after watching numerous videos on you tube, I bought my first Rocket Roadster in 2013. Called my local dealer, got an out the door price, went to credit union and got certified check, and got a ride to the dealer where I handed them the check, and said "where is it". Never test rode or even looked at it first. They probably thought I was nuts. On the ride home, I very quickly forgot about looks, peg positions, etc. etc. The BIG grin had me catching bugs all the way home! I now own 3 Rockets, and luv em all.

Back