Steven1969s

Standard Bore
Ride
2005 R3
Hello everyone. I've been looking at a 2005 Rocket3 that's for sale in my area. The bike has 31k miles and asking price is $5500. The seller has all the repair records since he bought it in 2005 (one owner/Older guy) What should I be looking for before buying?
Thanks,
Steve

Greetings from sunny North Texas. Things to look for on a 2005: headlight circuit thru ignition barrel bypass, output bearing to drive shaft are the two biggies. Triumph factory routed headlight power thru the ignition barrel causing overheating problems in the barrel and loss of solder connection. This was corrected around 2010 but was a source of consternation for a lot of folks. Eastern Beaver makes a relay bypass that puts power on the headlight directly from the battery with no loss of handlebar switch function and the headlight is brighter too. The ouput shaft bearing on the early models was sometimes installed backward at the factory causing premature failure. If the bearing is original you are OK, if it has been replaced you are still OK. If it sounds like a garbage can full of loose hardware rolling down a mountain when you take off, it's not OK. I suspect if the maintenace records are good the bike is ready to hit the road for another few hundred thousand miles. I think IDK got a quarter million miles on his before trading it off.....

Back