New front avon cobra and a shimmy

Ridefree

Supercharged
Ride
2013 R3T .... 2003 Harley softail
So I've never had a front end shimmy on my R3T Before and last week I had a new avon cobra installed to replace my metz and now it has a shimmy. If I let go of the handle bars at 25 to 30 mph the handle bars starts shaking. If I keep my hands on the bars the shimmy is not so bad but still there, comes and goes. Can also be felt mildly when turning left through an intersection. This all started right after the new tire was installed. In the past when this has happened on other bikes it had always been steering bearings. But this started after the new tire wad installed, felt it riding home from the shop. Gfs anyone else experienced this?

I had the same issue with my last Cobra. The wobble went away when I got a new tire. I replaced it with another Cobra. Only thing I can think is that it wasn't balanced properly.

I had the same issue with my last Cobra. The wobble went away when I got a new tire. I replaced it with another Cobra. Only thing I can think is that it wasn't balanced properly.

I was thinking balancing as well.
I have no shimmy on my r3r with an av71. In fact it is working beautifully.

Had it with both sets of Mettzlers and both sets of Avons and after re-torquing steering head bearings, good luck. On an R3T it seems common, not standards or roadsters

Did you live with the wobble till the tire wore out before you replaced it or did you take it back to the dealer right away. As far as the balance, I would think it would be more of a wheel hop that would get worse as I went faster but the bike is smooth with no shimmy at hiway speeds.
Ridefree

It's just started on my roadster immediately after fitting a new Avon - didn't happen with my last Avon. Also oscillates a lot when cranked over right.I know the tyre was fitted in a real hurry after a cluster*** of mistakes from the service dept. so I suspect it wasn't balanced properly - if at all. That said I haven't checked the headstock

Had the same problem with the last two sets of cobras after switching from Metz. I thought it would go away with the second set but it didn't. Next Tire rotation considering another option. Love the cobras minus the shake!

i had the shakes on my last mez always kept a hand on the bars (removing hand was a tank slapper). and wore the tire out.. changed to a cobra problem gone. running an excedra max on rear.

I'll never use a Avon again. Had the same issue and changed back to Metz problem solved. I was told by the dealer that changes my motorcycle tires that others have had troubles with Avon so it's just not in the Rocket world.

Back