New exhaust = overheating engine?

Anthony

.020 Over
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Roadster
So I just put on a new slipon muffler. small yet fairly open. I was letting her idle a bit to cook off the crap in the muffler. When I came back to the bike, the temp light was on. I shut her down and grabbed my laptop and hooked up TuneECU to get a reading. 128C!!!! WTF!?!?!?! I heard the fan running, but it was crazy hot. The tank was warm to the touch (even more so that normal) and the key was even hot when I pulled it out.

She parks in the garage and I have not noticed any water leaks. The fan was cranking.

Help please.

could be stuck thermostat.
a temp gun might tell you whats going on.
water pump not turning.

Hi Anthony,

Which slip-ones did you fit and what did they replace?
Did you install an appropriate tune into the ECU for the modification, reset the adaptives and do a 12 minute tune?

Regards,
Mark Dunn

I put on a VooDoo slip-on. A cheap little thing, I know, but it slimmed the bike down, and dropped a ton of weight. I have not put a new tune on it yet, but I was in the middle of the 12 minute tune when I noticed the temp going up.

I need to find a tune for this.

I also need to verify the coolant levels.

You might want to add a wetting agent. I've had problems where crud has formed near a sensor and lets an air bubble grow.
R3 will warm up faster and cool down faster with it. Mine does anyway. DEI Radiator Relief

So, I have checked the coolant levels (and learned about that little bolt on the cap that keeps you from turning it :mad:). All good.

Now I have a new tune from TuneECU for aftermarket silencer (20776) and will test again in the morning after all of my neighbors wake up.

So, I have checked the coolant levels (and learned about that little bolt on the cap that keeps you from turning it :mad:). All good.

Now I have a new tune from TuneECU for aftermarket silencer (20776) and will test again in the morning after all of my neighbors wake up.
Did you have coolant in your overflow bottle? Behind the bearclaw.
You shouldnt realy need to take the radiator cap off unless your overflow tank is empty or you are replacing the fluid.

Maybe running too lean with the different exhaust ,but this should only happen at higher revs ,my R3T ran hot just taking it to the Dyno Tuner after I installed the TORS

Do it early in the morning - your neighbours will be awake anyway. ;)

Back