New Bonnevilles

sonny

Living Legend
Ride
rocket three x
Seriously looking at the new Bonneville's. Talked to the Dealership in OKC Saturday and they expect to see a few of them around March. The Harley is getting on my nerves. The motor compensator is going south again, Just replaced it about 18,000 miles ago. The Screaming Eagle compensator works well but wears out quickly. Had several people who are interested in the Harley but are waiting on their tax returns. Only asking $9,000 due to the high mileage on the bike. Even with 85,000 miles it is still in good shape (after we replace the Compensator again) Just fed up with working on the **** thing. I had a Bonneville in 05 and really enjoyed it. A liquid cooled 1200 Bonneville sounds like a lot of fun. The Rocket X is a great bike but really plan on keeping it mostly stock. The Bonneville would make a nice project bike. With a little work on the engine here and there you could end up with something special. :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

Did a little more research on the new Bonneville's. No thank you. I would be better off buying a older model and modify it myself. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Did a little more research on the new Bonneville's. No thank you. I would be better off buying a older model and modify it myself. :banghead::banghead::banghead:
How do you figure that ? The new 1200cc watercooled bikes have to make a lot more power and look great also

Speaking of which, I kinda wonder what will happen with remaindered Bonnies. Will they languish on dealer floors with deep discounts while buyers chase the updated models? Or will people who had been thinking about a Bonneville snap them up because the Street Twin is so underwhelming and the 1200's are out of their price range?

I fall into the latter category. I traded my Honda 919 for a Rocket, so the wife and I could have a more comfortable (for her) two-up bike, but I'm on the lookout for something smaller and lighter just for me.

Sounds just like the die hards on the Bonnie forum who still insist if you tune a Bonnie you MUST fit carbs to get power even on EFI's

I have an older model Efi that I modified, it will blow most other Bonnies away & stock R3's too, due to increased power & much reduced weight etc etc.

The New Thruxton I am getting makes around 83 ft lb @ only 5K, never seen that from a street modified Bonnie not even hopped up big valve 1087's.

Ride by wire/rider modes/abs/traction con/showa forks/Ohlins shocks/Brembo brakes, best looking stock bike out there,

What's not to like ?

Sure it is not a high rev/hp motor but it will do VERY well, despite the short sighted naysayers.

I have looked into this engine, head is ripe for flowing/valves/cams, in the winter I will do just that !

Did I mention I like this bike ?

Give the bike a try before sticking the knife in.

Last edited:
The street twin is entry level, have you ridden one,

All reports from journalists tests and new owners have been very positive almost glowing

Triumphs new Bonnie range will sell like hot cakes.
No, haven't ridden one. I have ridden a bike with similar power band characteristics though, the Star Bolt. For blasting from stoplight to stoplight in the city, it was fine, but I found the engine a bit wanting in most other situations. I'm sure the ST would handle much better than the bolt though. Still, I would prefer a bit more top end punch.

The street twin is entry level, have you ridden one,

All reports from journalists tests and new owners have been very positive almost glowing

Triumphs new Bonnie range will sell like hot cakes.

Agreed. The dealers I've talked to are saying the initial run to the public is already soldout. I imagine there will be a deal for the older models as they clear inventory. With the lowered prices, one could justify a 904, 989, 1100 or 1200 kit to heighten the performance. Triumph Twin Power sells oversized throttle bodies to increase performance also.

I still miss my 03 America with carbs and the constant tinkering one could enjoy. Last year I went for a ride and paired up with the fellow who purchased it. Followed him to watch the Bonny in action, listened to the exhaust note and boy did I ever want to make an offer for my old bike. He wasn't selling though.

Back