Ride
Triumph 2010 RIII R
Thanks in advance guys.

I have a new YUASA VTX20L-BS.

Just put in the electrolytes.

I have two chargers on hand:

Battery Tender Junior: 12 Volts 750mA

And

Schumacher SC-1200A-CA which has an AGM 3A 12V AGM mode.

Which charger should I use for this brand new battery?

I'm not in a rush as there is salt on the roads from a recent dusting of snow. Will using the Battery tender with the lower A be better for a first time charge? Is 750mA too small a charge?

Thanks!

It should be charged as soon as you put the acid in. However, it can't hurt to put it on the battery tender for a while as well. I assume that you have the pigtail on your bike for the battery tender.

My recommendation would be to put the tender on the battery before installing the battery in the bike. Let it go to green, then install and put the tender back on for hibernation. That is the way I would do it.

IDK: are you pulling my leg?

"Battery charged just from adding the acid?"

Between the two chargers, I would use the Battery Tender Jr.
As others have suggested, get a pigtail with SAE two pin connector (should cost less than $8), and put it on the battery.

Charge the battery overnight. Then put it back in the bike with the pigtail installed. I use one of those plastic wire bundle / cable ties to fix the end of the pigtail to the frame where it is easy to reach.

Then you can keep the BTJr. on the bike until riding season, and it should be very good to go at that time.

Back