New...and tryin' to figure it out.

Rocket4me

.040 Over
Ride
2014 R3T
My wife and I have been looking to buy another touring bike since we sold our 2005 Yamaha FJR 1300 about a year ago. Love the Rockets. My dilemma, should we buy the Touring model with all the long ride goodies or the Roadster with the motor that makes ya grin?

I am 6'4", my wife 5'8", so leg room is important. Yet, my wife and I are also quickness junkies. Not so much high speeds for long periods of time, just getting to 90 as rapidly as possible keeps us old folks smiling. I have read several posts about Touring hops ups and Roadster touring add-ons. Which seems the better choice and why?

I have recently found a new 2015 Touring model in the nice cranberry and black color for just over $13,000 and trying to make a wise decision. I am sure there are a large number of posts on this issue, but humor me, I am not the greatest on these sites when it comes to searching and then actually finding things.

What do you think....Tourer and work with the motor or Roadster and work with the touring add-ons?

Looking forward to some input, advice and guidance.

j

Oh, the photo is of our black lab puppy, Mozy.

Welcome,Rocket4me-I've had a R3T going on 2yrs. Wife&myself both love it they have plenty of torque.they're is plenty of room& W/the floorboards comfortable Couldn't say about Roadsters did'nt try one want to keep license ha,ha

If you be traveling with the wife unit, I'd go R3T for sure. :thumbsup:
I be a solo rider and prefer the performance of the R3R.

It only takes a slight tweak for the Touring to out perform a stock Roadster but it takes a fair bit to make the roadster into a two up Touring motorcycle ,full screen,footboards, spotlights, back rest ,panniers , luggage rack ,Full size Gel pillion seat ect, a stock touring has enough power/torque to satisfy most people but just knowing there are 40 odd more horses in there that are easily released is too tempting, and you have the best of both worlds

It only takes a slight tweak for the Touring to out perform a stock Roadster but it takes a fair bit to make the roadster into a two up Touring motorcycle ,full screen,footboards, spotlights, back rest ,panniers , luggage rack ,Full size Gel pillion seat ect, a stock touring has enough power/torque to satisfy most people but just knowing there are 40 odd more horses in there that are easily released is too tempting, and you have the best of both worlds
What tweak do I need to do to my bone stock 2010 touring to get those 40 hp?

What tweak do I need to do to my bone stock 2010 touring to get those 40 hp?

Just a set of TORS and a K&N under seat air filter in original air box and a good Tune that removes the restrictions in the throttles ect, a good Dyno tuner can do this for you or some of the Guys here can help with the Tune downloads this is the first step on the way for more performance improvements, that's all I have done to my R3T and it runs nicely :thumbsup::thumbsup:

G'day and welcome.

One thing to consider is the leg position. On the R3T you have floorboards, and your feet are a little further forward. The R3R has pegs further back, and a number of taller folks have found that uncomfortable. In the words of the Fonz, go and sit on it and see which one you prefer. I think that the R3T at that price would be a good buy for you. A set of TORS (which are not too loud), an air filter, and a TuneECU tune and you will be good to go.

Hello Rocket4me and welcome from VA. I have the 2014 R3T and just turned over 30K miles. For what you just descried above, I would say the Touring is the bike for you. Yes it is slightly heavier than a stock R3R but after adding the touring stuff to the Roadster, you will be close to the same weight as a touring. At the price you mention, I would jump on that R3T now. The guys above have already mentioned adding the TORs exhaust and a new tune, I did that and love the slight sound increase that is not too loud for my neighbors. The tune, cat delete with TORs and there bigger inner diameter make a noticable bump in power.
Both bikes love being rode hard and long so you can't go wrong there. For me and the long trips I make once in awhile, I love stretching out on the T and I think it is the best long distant bike I have ridden out of 27 other bikes now.
Good luck

Back