OlderRider

.020 Over
Ride
2021 Rocket 3R
Hello All,

I just bought a new Rocket 3R and joined this group for some support which I need right away unfortunately.

I did't get to test ride this one (or any Rockets) because the dealer was far away and it was raining when I got there to pick it up.

So now I find myself unhappy with the bike and I don't really know if I should be. In other words I don't know if I had too high an expectation based on all the videos and reviews I watched on this motorcycle or if in fact there is something wrong with this particular bike.

I've only done two short rides so maybe I need more time on the bike but my first impression is bad for the following reasons.

My first bad impression was the amount of vibration on the handlebars. I traded in a big Harley bagger for this bike and while the handle bars on that shook like crazy at idle it would be silky smooth on any RPM higher.

Then I notice the acceleration was unimpressive at lower RPMs, like from 2500 to 4000. This didn't seem right to me based on all the reviews that spoke about all the low end torque this engine was supposed to produce.

And finally the sound of the engine combines with the other two factors to not put a smile on my face like it did with all the reviewers. It's just not a good experience, at least compared to what I was expecting.

On the other hand once it reaches 4000 RPM the pull from the engine gets better.
I should note that I've been trying to go easy on it during the break in period so I haven't done wide open throttle or anything too crazy.

I've been in touch with the dealers but I complicated the issue there because I bought from a dealer 3 hours away because my local dealer didn't have the model I wanted in stock but he is willing to service it under warranty so that's a plus.

I know these are subjective issues I'm talking about so that's why I don't know if it's me or the bike that's the problem but I figure that's all the more reason to put it out there for many owners to weigh in on.

And of course I realize I should have test rode a Rocket before deciding to purchase one but that's water under the bridge at this point.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

OlderRider

Welcome from arizona
I am on my phone so it doesn't give the year which model rocket and how many miles
If new it may limit hp for the brake in period

Update: I went on a long group ride today and want to say "Nevermind!" Ha Ha, yes the problem was I didn't give it a chance on a proper ride! It proved itself today to be a quite capable and fun machine. Very comfortable for the longer rides which is what I wanted. And with faster speeds it smooths out and feels great.

And people love the look of this thing, like I did.

I should have done a long ride before posting but i guess it was therapeutic to get that off my chest. I was just worried I had made a mistake but it's a great machine. I already knew, but didn't mention above, that I love the gear box, the light clutch pull, and the ride position and handling so that comes to the forefront now that my concerns about the engine are put to rest.

Turbo, I know, I'm always surprised that username isn't taken on the few forums I've been on. Older but not wiser!

Welcome from arizona
I am on my phone so it doesn't give the year which model rocket and how many miles
If new it may limit hp for the brake in period
The service guy at the dealer mentioned they do a flash on the first service. I didn't ask him but wondered later if that flash was to unlock a little more performance from the engine. Does anyone know?

Back