patrol21

.060 Over
Ride
2009 R3 RAMAIR Intake Full Jardine Exhaust Cor
Bike is 2009 with aprox 20K on the clock. Been a bit tough to get into Neutral at rest recently and then last night impossible to find Neutral at rest. Once bike is turned off it goes into but stubbornly. No issue with Neutral when bike is moving coming to a light etc.

Tightened up the cable a touch but left about 1/8-1/4 of an inch of free play as I made the error of over tightening the cable last season and ended up snapping the throw out pin crazy set up in the front of the clutch so always very careful of the play to be left in cable.

I am not hard on a clutch at all so looking for thoughts. Oil looks good (I find that older oil makes the bike shift a touch harder..mobile 1 in sump)

Bike shifts fine, no issues ever so thinking two thoughts....either the clutch is just seen better days which I kinda doubt as I am not tough on it, or there is a gear box issue.

Seems like your free play is too much...1/8" is .125 and 2mm is about .080 from shop manual....clutch may not be releasing enough
LOL...yeah a touch gun shy as I toasted the engaging pin last year and it was a big job (odd set up for sure) but I tightened a bit last eve and it made "0" difference so moved it back. I will tighten up again to see if makes any difference.

sounds just like the lifter piece is not pulling the pressure plate out far enough.

if your free play is adjusted correctly (2-3mm), and assuming you're checking it right, next thing i'd check is that the lifter arm isn't a spline or 2 too far anticlockwise to begin with.

can you take a picture of yours?

Any resolution to this? I've just had the same issue with a new 2015 r3t, 1K miles. Seems that it will shift into neutral down from 2nd, but not up from 1st at all, and only at a roll, not at rest. Under warranty, but I'm curious how it could have been caused in the first place. I haven't touched the clutch.cable at all (obviously).

You've broken the bike in, the clutch has settled in, and it's time to make the minor adjustment.

Did you get it to a good dealer for the 500 mile service? This is never a bad idea. They'll even update maps and do a scan. First service at a good dealer is highly recommended.

Any resolution to this? I've just had the same issue with a new 2015 r3t, 1K miles. Seems that it will shift into neutral down from 2nd, but not up from 1st at all, and only at a roll, not at rest. Under warranty, but I'm curious how it could have been caused in the first place. I haven't touched the clutch.cable at all (obviously).
Have you changed the oil yet? Just making sure you do not have the break in oil in her still. Also yours is so new I think a little bed in period would not surprise I have heard they smooth out. Mine older so I cannot really remember except I went from the 600 mile break in oil to Mobile 1 and never had a issue. Also one of the first checks is the clutch adjustment Free play is important. Not enough and the lifter piece has pressure and rides on the lifter shaft wearing it out. To much and you do not release the clutch fibers enough and the input shaft is still spinning making shift movement hard from the torque applied to the gear. In your case the fifth gear which has dogs on both sides one to engage first gear to the output shaft and on set to engage fourth gear to the output shaft. 2 to 3 mm is the free play unless Triumph changed it which I doubt.
owe and coming from second down to neutral is a different fork and dog movement with a different gear ratio and dog style and tooth spacing which also might make the shifting forces needed different.
Just thinking out loud here it helps me learn :)

You've broken the bike in, the clutch has settled in, and it's time to make the minor adjustment.

Did you get it to a good dealer for the 500 mile service? This is never a bad idea. They'll even update maps and do a scan. First service at a good dealer is highly recommended.
Triumph of westchester. Authorized dealer at least. It's an excuse to take a ride at least :)

Give them a yell if you're concerned.

FWIW, my experience is that a lot of these issues go away if you ignore them.

Lots of guys spend time obsessing over minor stuff. And it ducks the joy out of their lives. I don't think forums help.

Give them a yell if you're concerned.

FWIW, my experience is that a lot of these issues go away if you ignore them.

Lots of guys spend time obsessing over minor stuff. And it ducks the joy out of their lives. I don't think forums help.

I called them. They said they'd look at it but didn't give me anything to go on when I asked what it could be or what I could do. I am frankly a bit disappointed, but I suppose mechanics don't make money if they tell customers how to fix stuff... But yes, the initial 500 mile service was done by them and it's got the recommended synth oil in it now (castrol I believe). I'm loathe to touch anything on it until the factory warranty runs out, and frankly I'm not confident in my ability to not break something else.

As for 'little stuff', I'd like to be able to shift into neutral when stopped. While not absolutely necessary, it is certainly completely expected on a new freaking bike :)

thanks all for feedback

Back