Want to Buy Disregard (found one) - Need Your Final Drive - Roadster

Not all that survive a fire are in such good condition though. eh @Paul Bryant ?

IMG_0626.JPG

Update: So, now would not be a good time for someone to show up here with a gently used Final Drive, for a Roadster, that you're willing to part with for next to nothing- I just plopped down over 1K for a new one from Triumph of Westchester, NY who actually had one on their shelf.

At the prodding (probably good advice) of several members to have a look see, I put the bike on the lift, took some weight off the wheel, removed the left shock (so I could get a torque wrench back on the FD bolts), and cracked the bolts between the final drive and the drive shaft. As expected out came fluid and it sure smelled like gear oil.

IMG_3382.JPG
IMG_3381.JPG

Now, unless motor oil just being in proximity with the final drive is enough to cause it to pick up that odor, I think the diagnosis is a bad seal in the final drive leaking gear oil into the drive shaft tube.
Before someone says something... I change gear oil with every rear tire change, so about every 4-4,500 miles. It looks like that from being in the drive shaft tube with moly paste, dust and dirt. What comes out of the FD would not look like that.

So, apparently this is a rare occurrence, but stuff seems to just happen to me.

The part should arrive late next week and hoping to have it in by Friday. I use the bike to get to work and back and thinking that as long as I don't run way low on gear oil continuing to ride shouldn't be a problem. I think I said in an earlier post that when I topped it off it was down 2 ozs, this after who knows how long it's been leaking. Anyway, if I'm insane for driving it this way for a few more days let me know your thinking on this.

I'll update after the new part is in and enough time has lapsed for it to show another leak, indicating I just wasted $1,000 and have a whole 'nother issue to contend with.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: So, now would not be a good time for someone to show up here with a gently used Final Drive, for a Roadster, that you're willing to part with for next to nothing- I just plopped down over 1K for a new one from Triumph of Westchester, NY who actually had one on their shelf.

At the prodding (probably good advice) of several members to have a look see, I put the bike on the lift, took some weight off the wheel, removed the left shock (so I could get a torque wrench back on the FD bolts), and cracked the bolts between the final drive and the drive shaft. As expected out came fluid and it sure smelled like gear oil.

IMG_3382.JPG
IMG_3381.JPG

Now, unless motor oil just being in proximity with the final drive is enough to cause it to pick up that odor, I think the diagnosis is a bad seal in the final drive leaking gear oil into the drive shaft tube.
Before someone says something... I change gear oil with every rear tire change, so about every 4-4,500 miles. It looks like that from being in the drive shaft tube with moly paste, dust and dirt. What comes out of the FD would not look like that.

So, apparently this is a rare occurrence, but stuff seems to just happen to me.

The part should arrive late next week and hoping to have it in by Friday. I use the bike to get to work and back and thinking that as long as I don't run way low on gear oil continuing to ride shouldn't be a problem. I think I said in an earlier post that when I topped it off it was down 2 ozs, this after who knows how long it's been leaking. Anyway, if I'm insane for driving it this way for a few more days let me know your thinking on this.

I'll update after the new part is in and enough time has lapsed for it to show another leak, indicating I just wasted $1,000 and have a whole 'nother issue to contend with.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Good luck!

@Joesmoe, did you add to resources the guy from Europe I believe who repaired his final drive seal, he posted pictures, dimensions of a couple tools he made to fit, you and i replied to the post. I cant find it using the search feature, do you remember him?

@Joesmoe, did you add to resources the guy from Europe I believe who repaired his final drive seal, he posted pictures, dimensions of a couple tools he made to fit, you and i replied to the post. I cant find it using the search feature, do you remember him?

I'd be interested in reading that. I need a replacement right away to get back on the road, but wouldn't mind repairing this one as a backup (lighting strikes twice).

I'd be interested in reading that. I need a replacement right away to get back on the road, but wouldn't mind repairing this one as a backup (lighting strikes twice).
He had to fab a few tools, a press was required, i don’t remember him going into torque type details on reinstall, i hope paul finds it hes the search master, thats what steel said, nobody as good at it than the, well paul :sneaky:

He had to fab a few tools, a press was required, i don’t remember him going into torque type details on reinstall, i hope paul finds it hes the search master, thats what steel said, nobody as good at it than the, well paul :sneaky:
I also would be interested in that, I seem to remember someone replacing oil seal & bearings and someone asking for pt.#'s but seemed like thread died. Been a couple yrs..

Back