Need Utopia Bracket

RockOn

Turbocharged
Ride
2006 R3 Classic, 2008 R3T, 2009 Harley Ultra
I've got a Utopia backrest on my '06 Classic 2 up touring type seat. I bought a used solo seat and separate passenger pillion on eBay and would like to buy or make a bracket that would allow me to mount my Utopia backrest to the solo/pillion combo. Utopia sells a backrest for the solo/pillion combo that mounts on the pillion bracket. Utopia will not sell the mounting bracket separately. So, instead of buying another backrest I'd like to fabricate a mount that attaches to the pillion bracket. Then I could simply unbolt the backrest and move it between the Classic seat and the solo/pillon combo seat when necessary.

Anyone have pictures of the Utopia mount that bolts onto the pillion bracket and/or have one for sale?

Easiest way is to get another rear pillion seat which come with the 'H' shaped bracket that bolts to the rear guard. These will happily piggy back so you can have a stock pillion and a rider's backrest made from a "H" bracket after removing the riveted on pillion pad. They are usually about US$35-50 for the whole pillion seat on eBay.

See my posts and photos here Riders Back Rest

Easiest way is to get another rear pillion seat which come with the 'H' shaped bracket that bolts to the rear guard. These will happily piggy back so you can have a stock pillion and a rider's backrest made from a "H" bracket after removing the riveted on pillion pad. They are usually about US$35-50 for the whole pillion seat on eBay.

See my posts and photos here Riders Back Rest

Well, I admire your ingenuity. However I had something far more simplistic in mind. My Utopia backrest is fully adjustable and lays down flat on my seat for easy mounting and dismounting.....which is an essential feature. At 71 I am not flexible enough to get my leg and rear end up and over a rigid backrest or between it and the tank. I just need to make a bracket similar to what I have on the Classic's touring seat but designed to attach to the pillion bracket with a bolt or two or by welds if necessary. I need to take a bunch of measurements, draw some sketches and turn my welder brother-in-law loose on this project. Hopefully your cleverness will be an inspiration to me in this project. :)

Yeah what I was trying to advise was that if you get one of the pillion 'H" mounts it will be easy to cut and weld or bolt the section with 3 holes that bolts to the bike to your existing folding Utopia stem and back rest.

As stated two of those 'H' brackets will happily piggy back under your Solo seat so you can keep the pillion on too or leave it off.

Yeah what I was trying to advise was that if you get one of the pillion 'H" mounts it will be easy to cut and weld or bolt the section with 3 holes that bolts to the bike to your existing folding Utopia stem and back rest.

As stated two of those 'H' brackets will happily piggy back under your Solo seat so you can keep the pillion on too or leave it off.

Update: Turned the bro-in-law loose on this project and as expected for about 5 bucks worth of steel, nuts and bolts he produced exactly what I needed in about 2 hours time. I need to sand and file some rough spots and prime and spray but I am a very happy camper. His fabrication skills saved me about $250-300.00. By the way, it occurs to me that this bracket with a couple rubber standoffs would also allow mounting the backrest without the pillion if so desired but I prefer the pillion look rather than a bare fender......especially when the sissy bar is installed.
20190302_142832.jpg
20190302_142842.jpg

Back