Need some Pump Current info (Classic or Touring)

DEcosse

If it's no Scottish it's CRAP!
Ride
Triumph Daytona (Custom)
Could someone help provide me with a current reading from a Classic or Touring (but not Roadster) ?
I would like to know what is the ACTUAL Fuel Pump current.
It's not that Roadster is different, just that has different circuit path & there is no simple way to measure compared to the other models)

I would need you to have a Digital Multimeter capable of reading Amps

What you would need to do is set your meter to The High Current Range (often separate from mA range) and insert the probes into the appropriate sockets in the meter (the red probe input for the current input is generally different than the one for volts and resistance)
IMPORTANT NOTE - you must never connect your probes in this configuration across a voltage difference or you will blow the fuse in the meter - it won't damage anything in the meter or render it inoperable for Volts or Resistance, but it will not read current until the fuse is replaced

Then pull Fuse 5 (whether Classic or Touring) and connect the probes across the two open sockets of the fuse holder - easiest way is probably to stick a 1/4" terminal (if you have such a thing) into each socket and then just clip the probes to those.
Then turn on the ignition - note that the reading will be higher for about three seconds then drop down (as the pump shuts off after that initial prime) - I need to initial value - which is with pump running (the second value is also useful however);
You can then start the bike if you like - the current should be the same as the original.
If the pump does not run, then either your probes/meter are not connected properly or the fuse is blown.
If you disconnect the probes, the bike will die.
When done simply reinsert the fuse and all should be restored to normal.
Remember to also put your meter probes back to their Volt/Ohms sockets in case you forget later! :D

Appreciate any assistance given in obtaining this info for me.

The touring hasn't been started in a few years. No battery. My 2007 Standard would be easy. I have a amp clamp on my my multi meter. AC/DC. Will it help?

... My 2007 Standard would be easy. I have a amp clamp on my my multi meter. AC/DC. Will it help?

Appreciated.

How big are the jaws?
If you can put it over the 1-2 loop on the alarm connector, that would be great place (but would mean raising the tank to access the alarm connector)
Bypass Connector below shows the loops on 1-2 and 3-5 (from left to right as shown)

alarm_bypass.jpg

Otherwise on the green wire to or from the fuse panel - that would require removing left side panel and finagling the wires to get the green one isolated (or at the key-switch connector, but again means raising tank)
I would think simple test leads/probes are probably going to easier than a clamp by just pulling the fuse and connecting between the terminals

@DEcosse
Hi,
I just went out and did as you described:
IMG_1534.JPG IMG_1535.JPG

I uploaded videos to YouTube: (sorry, they are upside down).

Hope that is what you need.

Initial 3.63 peak @3.58 - 3.60
After a few secs: .21
Running: 3.88

This is a 2010 Rocket III Touring.

Videos seem to be unavailable but the numbers are what I needed - awesome job, REALLY appreciated! Cheers!!!!
So pump alone is pulling ~ 3.5 A

Thank you also to the others for the offers to assist!

Last edited:
Incidentally didn't mean to be cryptic about the reasoning behind identifying that - looking at the possibilities for adding additional Immobilizer capability for the KeyLess system
The Touring* and the Roadster would pull less than 0.5A through the Alarm connector bypass loop; but the Standard/Classic is looking at 4A.

*Even though that 3.8A is flowing through the fuse on the Touring, the pump component of that current does not flow the Alarm interlock.

Videos seem to be unavailable but the numbers are what I needed - awesome job, REALLY appreciated! Cheers!!!!
So pump alone is pulling ~ 3.5 A

Thank you also to the others for the offers to assist!

My bad. I had the videos as private. I changed that, for what it's worth.
Glad to help. The least I could do after all the help we get from you.

Back