Need some Newbie Help! Bike won't start!

Babarocket3newbie

Rocket Newbie
Ride
2016 Rocket III Roadster
Hey Guys,

Hope you'll getting some riding in... we've had great weather...but summers almost over.

Anyways... so today I pulled my roadster out of the garage..... decided it needed a washing. So I washed the rocket. Then pulled the moto back into the garage.

But a few hours later, I wanted to go for a ride... went to start it, but my bike won't start? Any ideas? Any help would be grateful.

I checked the fuses and they all seem to be fine. I've checked the kill switch and make sure its in the right position. I have the @DEcosse keyless ignition, so thought that could be the problem, but the system does arm/ disarm and the lights do flash when that happens... I also had it hooked up to the battery tender.... I even tried to put the key in the ignition and turn it on... Squeeze the clutch in and nothing happens... It doesn't go thru it's boot sequence.

Please help!

Thanks,
Bob

You're saying it doesn't start - but it sounds like the ignition is not coming on at all when you pull the clutch?
Can your first clarify please - not starting, or ignition not coming on?

The first step is that the LED on the Dash MUST be on before it will turn on when you pull the clutch - is the Red LED on?
Even if the turns are flashing, it is NOT disarmed unless the RED LED on the dash is ON.
Next - if LED IS on and it does not turn on when you pull the clutch, disconnect the clutch trigger wire from the PosiTap and try touching it to chassis briefly - the ignition should turn on; if it does then there is problem with the clutch switch.
The clutch switch is really prone to water ingress if you had washed around that area on the bar (& especially with running water!)
If it doesn't turn on the Ignition, then it won't start the bike either, even if you manually turn on the ignition by touching the clutch trigger wire to ground

I'm a bit confused as to what you tried with the key - are you saying you disconnected the key-less system and plugged in the regular key-switch back in?
Remember that with the keyless, your OEM switch is now disconnected ...... so I'm not sure if you plugged it back in or if you're thinking it would still turn on with the key....
So - if you reconnected key - then what happens when you turn the key - ignition comes on but will not start when you pull clutch/press start?
Note also that if you reconnected the Key-Switch in place of the Key-Less you must at least leave the alarm connector plugged in (or re-install the original blanking plug)

If you still have my number call me - or PM me with your number and I will call you

You're saying it doesn't start - but it sounds like the ignition is not coming on at all when you pull the clutch?

The first step is that the LED on the Dash MUST be on before it will turn on when you pull the clutch - is the Red LED on?
Even if the turns are flashing, it is NOT disarmed unless the RED LED on the dash is ON.
Next - if LED IS on and it does not turn on when you pull the clutch, disconnect the clutch trigger wire from the PosiTap and try touching it to chassis briefly - the ignition should turn on; if it does then there is problem with the clutch switch.
The clutch switch is really prone to water ingress if you had washed around that area on the bar (& especially with running water!)
If it doesn't turn on the Ignition, then it won't start the bike either, even if you manually turn on the ignition by touching the clutch trigger wire to ground

I'm a bit confused as to what you tried with the key - are you saying you disconnected the key-less system and plugged in the regular key-switch back in?
Remember that with the keyless, your OEM switch is now disconnected ...... so I'm not sure if you plugged it back in or if you're thinking it would still turn on with the key....
So - if you reconnected key - then what happens when you turn the key - ignition comes on but will not start when you pull clutch/press start?
Note also that if you reconnected the Key-Switch in place of the Key-Less you must at least leave the alarm connector plugged in (or re-install the original blanking plug)

If you still have my number call me - or PM me with your number and I will call you
Hey DECosse, Sorry... yeah the ignition not coming on. Nothing happens when I pull the clutch in.

Yes, the Red LED is on. Ok... I will try disconnecting the clutch trigger wire tomorrow after work...

So, I haven't touched the key-less system at all yet as it is under the tank. THought it could have been a fuse problem so checked that first. As for putting the key in the ignition switch... I didn't realized that the OEM switch was disconnected. I think I still have your number... I'll trouble shoot some more tomorrow afternoon... if to no avail, I'll give you a holla'. Sorry, I'm still a newbie at this. Thanks

Hey, So Ok... I disconnected the clutch trigger wire and touched it to chassis and nothing. So I hooked the wire back to the posi tap... Now, the red LED comes on and off...even if I have the remote next to the bike... so is there something wrong with the unit? I've changed the battery on the remote already.... Should I unhook the whole system? Anyway... thanks for helping troubleshoot... I may just give you a call tomorrow afternoon after work then.

Hey, Sorry for the multiple posts.... ok... so I tried reconnecting the regular key-switch back in... put the key in the ignition, turned the key to on..... the lights turn on, ignition on and goes through the sequence..... but will not start when pull clutch/ press start....

Have you checked your battery voltage?
Check it with the key already turned on (lights on)

Sounds nuts but have you tried removing the clutch switch from the housing. You need a small flat blade and depress the plastic lug under the housing where the switch fits in and wiggle out the switch. I have a DEcosse keyless ignition as well and mine only works when the clutch switch is not sitting in the housing. You can still cycle the switch when it out of the housing and mine stays on and the headlights come on and stay on when I am in range with the key fob.
The disadantage is If I want to work on it I have to leave the key fob out of range or flatten the battery with the headlights on. The ignition does not cycle the instruments until the kill switch is turned on as usual so the ignition itself is not on all the time just the headlights.

I just use the kill switch after getting on. My problem is with the clutch switch and housing itself and not DEcosses' system.

Unfortunately the kill switch itself is not sold separately only with the housing which may be where my problem is anyway. But I have run with it as is for 6 months and 5,000 km.

Unfortunately the kill switch itself is not sold separately only with the housing which may be where my problem is anyway.

You can get a switch from another model e.g 01-04 speed triple - where the switch IS a separate item
T2505005 - CLUTCH SWITCH

You would then have to splice it in of course

The switch is obviously closed since it is working when removed from housing; so it sounds more like a problem with the lever - is it OEM?

You can get a switch from another model e.g 01-04 speed triple - where the switch IS a separate item
T2505005 - CLUTCH SWITCH

You would then have to splice it in of course

The switch is obviously closed since it is working when removed from housing; so it sounds more like a problem with the lever - is it OEM?

Yeah, OEM and the previous owner had cut the wires of the original switch so I got a free used one from @Mittzy when @HansO fitted your system for me and we spliced it in.
Thanks again DEcosse that is a great find and less than 20% the cost to see if it is the switch or housing. But as you (and @HansO) have said probably the clutch lever housing. I should be able to order one from the local dealer now and if it is no different I have a spare.:)
I had checked the parts diagrams and listings for Rockets and saw that the switch was only sold with the clutch lever housing. Being cheap I have been been happily using it as is. ;):D

Aus$14.68 excl. VAT(£9.06)
Triumph T2505005 Switch assembly
Part #6 in diagram
Clutch switch.png

Back