Need R tire; gotta remove rear wheel

CWCobra

.060 Over
Well, OEM rear tire is bald after 5,500 miles. Gonna go Dark Side, but got a question:
To remove the rear wheel/tire on my 2009 R3T, I am guessing I have to first remove saddle bags, brackets, and mufflers. Am I right? Are there any other tips/suggestions out there?

My plan is to have local car tire shop mount my DS tire...same shop that mounted my last 2 bike tires, including a DS tire I put on a VTX I used to have.

Thanks, all,
CW

The Standard doesn't require muffler removal, just a little jostling of the axle. I'm surprised the 3T requires a muffler removal.:confused:

The R3T muffler sits lower and is bolted to the saddlebag mount. Two bolts and a clamp and its off, not to tough.

One saddlebag and muffler are all you'll need to remove.

Hey, Harry, does it matter which side to remove? I'm guessing the left side, since that's the drive line side. Or does it matter?

Thanks again, Harry!

CW

Last edited:
Yes, driveshaft side. Do you not have a service manual for the bike? If not, PM me with your email address and I'll send you a copy.

Harry:
Thanks for your offer...I actually do have a service manual, but it's on a memory stick in the right saddle bag, and I was too lazy to go retireve it.

Thanks anyhow,
CW

Good information. I'm about to go darkside myself, and wanted to know the same thing. I haven't decided between Riken 225/55 or Altimax 205/60, any thoughts? Is the manuel offer good to anyone, I could use it for my '08 R3T
Thanks,
JS

Wheel was easy to remove; only had to loosen left muffler and drop it a bit. I removed the saddlebag brace cross member to make it easier to get wheel out from under fender. Everything came off/went on very easily. Darkside is on, and all is well. see separate thread for my DS details.

CW
:)

Good information. I'm about to go darkside myself, and wanted to know the same thing. I haven't decided between Riken 225/55 or Altimax 205/60, any thoughts? Is the manuel offer good to anyone, I could use it for my '08 R3T
Thanks,
JS

The Riken 225/55 will be too large for your R3T. The 205/60 seems to be the preferred size for the Touring.

Back