**(Found One)** Need new/gently used drive shaft for Roadster/Touring #T1270700

Yep I've done it, support your final drive, take off shock the 4 bolts to final drive & pull off. Pull out drive shaft...reuse spring & re fit. You will feel when you engage driveshaft to gearbox shaft, then push in. You will need to support the drive shaft when putting final drive back on...I used a bit off plastic which is flexible as you need to pull it out once you have connected with drive shaft with final drive. Theres only a small gap to pull it out...others might use other things but it works for me. Dont forget to lube all splines.
Probably a wire tie sounds like a good idea!!!!???? And you can cut it

Once or twice I noticed a feeling like a tiny bit of slack that gets taken in- not loud or hard, barely noticeable. I wondered about the cushdrive, but it was one of those little things you notice and then keep an eye/ear out for. It was when I went to lube the splines that I realized what was happening. From the looks of it I'm lucky it didn't just spin out completely. As much as I ride, I'm letting her sit until the new part comes in.

From what I'm seeing in the manual and an old post by @warp9.9 you have to remove the swingarm to get the driveshaft out- bummer.
The manual also calls for this tool (Triumph #T3880062)
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 11.28.58 AM.png

$38, and how much you want to bet no one has it in stock?

I'm pretty sure I read on this site where someone showed how to make one from a socket, but I can't find that post. Anyone have any ideas?
I've seen people grind them out of a socket. Carbide cuts thru the sockets like buttee. Myself I used a brass drift to knock the the lock nut loose. And again to reseat it when I was done after all its just a bearing lock nut.

I've seen people grind them out of a socket. Carbide cuts thru the sockets like buttee. Myself I used a brass drift to knock the the lock nut loose. And again to reseat it when I was done after all its just a bearing lock nut.
Scott- do you need to remove the swing arm to get the driveshaft out? My part is already in Ohio, so shouldn't be too long until the world gets right again.

Scott- do you need to remove the swing arm to get the driveshaft out? My part is already in Ohio, so shouldn't be too long until the world gets right again.
@Neville Lush could verify. He's probably at work now. I don't think they jave Thanksgiving down under. Probably more like Crocodile day !! Once the driveshaft amd swing frame is installed according to the manual after you feel the shaft snap in you pull the rubber boot back over the torsional damper housing. The book says use crazy glue. Which I did not use And the boot is still in place 10,000 miles later. Its also easy to scoop up the splines with the bevel box. Ya just got to hold your face straight :D
Got my bird for tomorrow :)
Screenshot_20211122-085221_Gallery.jpg

Black angus bird cooks in 7 minutes to medium rare.
Yall have a great holiday :)

Update: The driveshaft arrived about a week after ordering from speedy2triumph2013 on eBay. Looked nearly new. Removal of the swing arm was necessary on my bike- the driveshaft only goes in the swing arm one way, from where it sits near the motor. I work at a community college and had the machining instructor fabricate the tool to tighten the nut on the swing arm, but you could easily make due by grinding a deep 29mm or 1 1/8" socket.

I bought some of this...
Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 7.47.45 AM.png

off Amazon and mixed it with some cheap Moly grease from the auto parts store, resulting in a much higher moly content than what you can readily buy and it will last me a lifetime.

The bike definitely feels more "engaged." With 77,000 on the bike I guess I'll be replacing things like this more often. I'm finding myself looking at ads for the new R3s.

Back