**(Found One)** Need new/gently used drive shaft for Roadster/Touring #T1270700

What'ya guys think about this one? Not sure what to make of the few shiney spots, but otherwise looks nearly new...

I'd have to wait for it to make it across the pond.
Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 5.09.11 PM.png
Looks good

Last edited:
I thought about it- you're referring to the one on Pinwall. Not many Rockets have a final drive failure though and it could take quite a while to resell it. Still might do it though. I'm one of the exceptions - my FD went out about two years ago.
That one does look good !!!
Looks nice 😃 hopefully it comes airmail, seaports in bad shape, says estimated ETA 24th to the 7th so must be. 🙂 GL $275 all together, that's almost the cost of a new one, but I don't know what shipping would cost from a dealer in UK, what you have to deal with owning the Rocket, it's been worth it so far for me 😁 but I just got it in April 😁, still didn't give up on trying to retrofit a lock on the windscreen, would hate it if someone walked away with it, like $1,000 if you can get it, haven't tried, tried to get the lock, as you all probably know, discontinued 😭

Did you see how much a final drive goes for, like $2,500, pay the $550 and sell what you don't need on fleabay, probably wind up with some extra dough in your pocket 😁 GL, Did you see the price on the used TB's complete with injectors $150, they are almost $3,000 new, even if you use the TPS it pays for itself, I bought one, I have All these extra part's, just hope they work 😁

Triumph Rocket 3 part's
T1290987 crank POS sensor $65.74 offer accepted $29√
T1290053 road speed sensor $137. 1@-$29√ 1@-$63 included insurance 1 year√ 1@-$23√ 2- left
• T1290360 temp sensor not available √ $12
T1292004 air temp sensor $47√
T1290650 ecu, xc, base
T1290101 coil $149 offer $50 √ accepted
T1296589 gear position sensor $ 94 $30√
T2201247 O2 sensor heated $189 $15√8
T1292015 air pressure sensor MAP sensor√ $106 √√√
T1210504 switch and banjo bolt, oil pressure, $22

Plus the TB's w/injectors and TPS's complete + boots and clamps.
Front and rear disk's w/bolt's, stock bolts discontinued, but you can get aftermarket on fleabag, but replace them all cause titanium is a lot lighter than ss, I just got them for 1 bolt I boogered up.
And a used air box complete, I needed 1 clamp, but I figured now I have extra clamps and boots, I boogered up 1 on my bike. I'd really like to put individual cans on the TB's and free up all that mess, but for now I'll leave it.
I'm still looking for a ECU,
GL

The ECU you bought (#33 below) fits only later Roadster models with ABS and their are 3 different Roadster ABS ECU variants which are matched to Roadster ABS specific ECU linked speedometer instruments and they cannot use aftermarket instruments.

Don't freak at the Aussie $ prices

1000070-4-2.jpg

T1290650 - ECM XC BASE​

• Reference​

• Part Number​

T1290650
  • Description​

ECM XC BASE
  • Notes​

Roadster Only
  • Price​

• Qty On Diagram​

• Stock in Store​

No Stock (Orders Available)

Your Classic has pre ABS instruments that are replaceable with aftermarket versions Dakota etc
If you have a 2008 classic you need the following ECU (#11 in image above)

T1299302 - ECU C20XB BASE​

• Reference​

• Part Number​

T1299302
  • Description​

ECU C20XB BASE
  • Notes​

Rocket III & Classic
  • Price​

• Qty On Diagram​

• Stock in Store​

No Stock (Orders Available)

I haven’t removed it yet. Need to look at manual. Hoping it’s pretty simple.
How did you know it was worn like that, I guess it was grinding, banging??? What did it sound or feel like, a lot of vibration?
I guess that end of the driveshaft slip's into the final drive unit? I thought in the beginning it was the engine end, I just looked at the diagram, I didn't see which end it slip's out from, I'm thinking the front end so the whole swingarm is going to be removed, correct??? You will need the tool/socket to get the swingarm bolt loose??? Looks like at least 4 hours on a good day, hope you got a good clean surface to work on and not drop anything small, (I hate that) and it goes back smooth brother!!! I can't believe the splines on the final drive is fine 🤔 the way that shaft looked👍👌 lucky for that!!!👍😁 Hopefully the mechanical God's are with you, GL
Don't forget put some grease on the oil seal on the motor

Last edited:
How did you know it was worn like that, I guess it was grinding, banging??? What did it sound or feel like, a lot of vibration?
I guess that end of the driveshaft slip's into the final drive unit? I thought in the beginning it was the engine end, I just looked at the diagram, I didn't see which end it slip's out from, I'm thinking the front end so the whole swingarm is going to be removed, correct??? You will need the tool/socket to get the swingarm bolt loose??? Looks like at least 4 hours on a good day, hope you got a good clean surface to work on and not drop anything small, (I hate that) and it goes back smooth brother!!! I can't believe the splines on the final drive is fine 🤔 the way that shaft looked👍👌 lucky for that!!!👍😁 Hopefully the mechanical God's are with you, GL
Don't forget put some grease on the oil seal on the motor
Once or twice I noticed a feeling like a tiny bit of slack that gets taken in- not loud or hard, barely noticeable. I wondered about the cushdrive, but it was one of those little things you notice and then keep an eye/ear out for. It was when I went to lube the splines that I realized what was happening. From the looks of it I'm lucky it didn't just spin out completely. As much as I ride, I'm letting her sit until the new part comes in.

From what I'm seeing in the manual and an old post by @warp9.9 you have to remove the swingarm to get the driveshaft out- bummer.
The manual also calls for this tool (Triumph #T3880062)
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 11.28.58 AM.png

$38, and how much you want to bet no one has it in stock?

I'm pretty sure I read on this site where someone showed how to make one from a socket, but I can't find that post. Anyone have any ideas?

Once or twice I noticed a feeling like a tiny bit of slack that gets taken in- not loud or hard, barely noticeable. I wondered about the cushdrive, but it was one of those little things you notice and then keep an eye/ear out for. It was when I went to lube the splines that I realized what was happening. From the looks of it I'm lucky it didn't just spin out completely. As much as I ride, I'm letting her sit until the new part comes in.

From what I'm seeing in the manual and an old post by @warp9.9 you have to remove the swingarm to get the driveshaft out- bummer.
The manual also calls for this tool (Triumph #T3880062)
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 11.28.58 AM.png

$38, and how much you want to bet no one has it in stock?

I'm pretty sure I read on this site where someone showed how to make one from a socket, but I can't find that post. Anyone have any ideas?
Figure out what socket lines up and take a cutting blade on a 4.5" grinder and go to town draw some permanent marker and you may have to finish up with a die or Dremel type grinder with cut off blade attachment, GL, "pictures" I'd like to see the results 😁oh and put it in a vice or you may be called four fingers or something 😁😜🤪

Back