need help identifying age of an R3

Graywulf

Standard Bore
Ride
Honda CB1300s
Hi folks,
A 'wannabe' R3 owner here. I've been riding just on 44yrs, I've ridden all my adult life as 'transport' and had just about every make of bike and sizes up to a 1700cc MT-01 Yammy, and am now looking at a low km's R3.
Having looked I found an advertised 2010 R3 tour, but having seen a lot of the threads on here re various issues/upgrade packages/etc on the earlier R3's I want to make sure I would be 'clear' of the problems with the bike I am looking at. Biggest issue is being in New Zealand for arguing with importers/dealers in the event of, and then the wait for parts. I've also read the VIN threads where being 'down under' the VIN is not the same as the UK to help identify the bikes actual age.
So, there are a few things I need to find out please. The bike is a 2010 [registered?] Blue/blue model with a black engine. Which I understand {colour combination} was released around 2005 and again for 2010? It does not have ABS and I can't find out if this means it is an old {2005} stock bike registered in 2010, or it was a current production bike for 2010. Any help would be gratefully received as at age 60, this could be my last big tourer for my 'later years' so I want to get it right for reliability etc.

Hi Graywulf, the Touring came out in 08, and the black engines came out in mid 06 so this bike is definitely newer than that (unless someone did an engine swap).
For some history of the Rocket models/years, have a look at this thread.

If you have the VIN of the bike, you can check here if there have been any recalls on it.

For what it's worth, my 2010 Roadster (UK) VIN is SMTTLC1235B457286, engine number 3459858, build date 19-May-10.
My spare 08 engine number is C00L46251323 as it came from the USA.

To be definitive you could request a photo of the registration cert from the seller, you can see it's date of build, date of first registration etc if Kiwi reg certs are anything like a 1st world country :)

Hi Graywulf, the Touring came out in 08, and the black engines came out in mid 06 so this bike is definitely newer than that (unless someone did an engine swap).
For some history of the Rocket models/years, have a look at this thread.

If you have the VIN of the bike, you can check here if there have been any recalls on it.

For what it's worth, my 2010 Roadster (UK) VIN is SMTTLC1235B457286, engine number 3459858, build date 19-May-10.
My spare 08 engine number is C00L46251323 as it came from the USA.

To be definitive you could request a photo of the registration cert from the seller, you can see it's date of build, date of first registration etc if Kiwi reg certs are anything like a 1st world country :)

hi R-III-R,
my concern is I have read that even the black engines had an 'update' kit from Triumph. So it is likely that this will be a 2010 model {blue/blue} and all the issues were sorted out by then? It's done less than 30k km's so is almost new really. Thanks for the reply, being 'new' to Triumph {my last one a Bonnie, was in the 1970's} I have not had much to do with the current models or know a lot about them. NZ roads are not really suited to 'Euro tourers' but bikes with low/mid grunt are ideal, hence looking at the R3.

Of the engine is or was built in 2009 or newer all the updated components are in it. You'll be safe even if its the touring model. The only thing that has neen updated or shall we say changed is the lifter piece. Not that there is anything wrong with yours, imo the newer one is a better design. But don't change it until your in it. I just did my 07 last year.
Oh and sorry its a touring model and not the bug eye'd beast :D

Warp is referring to the clutch lifter piece btw. Mine is an '05 and still on the original early set up. Also running the original early TPS :) 110,000kms. I think that part of the longevity of my lifter is that I never rev it up with the clutch pulled and in gear.

Hello Graywulf, where abouts are you ?
I'm just North Of Hamilton.

You've come to the right place for in depth information.

Parts are not a problem, I get any parts that I need in from Baxter Cycle in Iowa, way quicker and half the cost of buying from the local Stealers.
Also G.P. M/C Wreckers in Kati Kati have wrecked a few Rockets so that's a good parts source as well.

Warp is referring to the clutch lifter piece btw. Mine is an '05 and still on the original early set up. Also running the original early TPS :) 110,000kms. I think that part of the longevity of my lifter is that I never rev it up with the clutch pulled and in gear.

Hey Duc,
Better get to pedaling!
At 59,000 on my 2012, I be gaining on your 68,000 miles
. :D
I'll save the remainder of my harassment of you for when we meet again in Stearns. :rolleyes: :roll: :inlove

Parts are not a problem, I get any parts that I need in from Baxter Cycle in Iowa, way quicker and half the cost of buying from the local Stealers.
Also G.P. M/C Wreckers in Kati Kati have wrecked a few Rockets so that's a good parts source as well.

Hi 1olbull,
I'm in Wellywood. The R3 isn't in Welly though, so I'm getting info before looking deeper. BRP are doing the 'Hardly Rideitson' thing to the dealers, and we lost the one in Welly because of. Once a replacement 'steed' is decided I'm getting rid of it and keeping a cruiser/tourer for long distance stuff. The CB is a brilliant daily/everyday rider so it will be a long term purchase for the 'tourer'.

Back