Need help getting bike to start

TonyMac

Supercharged
Hello Chaps,

I have been working overseas, mainly in Norway, since mid May, I am currently in Michigan for a 3 week vacation.

This is pretty much the first opportunity I have had to check out my bike after Lesters and I's spill at Maggie Valley during RAAIV mid May.

After binning the banged up windshield and bags, renewing a mirror and a turn signal and getting the front fender and tank repainted she should be more or less good to go...........assuming I can get the bloody thing restarted:confused:

Here's my symptoms................(They haven't changed since Lonzol, Banjobart and others tried to restart it just after the spill. The only way they got it to restart was to bump start it)

Checked battery was fully charged.
Turn ignition key to on position
Headlights come on
Both gauge pointers sweep
All idiot lights illuminate
Engine and oil light as well as neutral light remain illuminated.
Hit starter button with clutch lever pulled in...................nothing......nada......no clicking at starter motor...... no nothing!?!?!??!

Also tried to start with the bike upright with the side stand in the up position.......nada!

So what do you reckon?
Starter button?
Clutch lever switch?
Tip over sensor hasn't reset after the spill? Can anyone enlighten me to the actual physical location of this sensor?

All help getting me back on the road greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Tony

PS I have a tuneboy but apart from attaching it to get the ECU code to send to Wayne to get it registered it hasn't yet been used.

Take all the crap off the battery terminals to start with. All sounds like a good situation but if the amperage draw from the "crap" are getting in they way of ample amps to the starter you get 0.

Last edited:
Clutch switch

If you had a spill it sounds like the clutch switch is messed up. The only way I know to check for this is cut into the wiring leaving the clutch handle(two wires). Skin them back and short them out together. If it starts then you will have to order a new left hand switch wiring harness. Good luck!

Tony, good to hear from you again! Wondering where you've been . Good luck on getting the beast started.
+1
Glad to hear she wasn't too bad off, a little paint, bags, windshield, and mirror, right?
I have an extra set of mirrors if you want them, just give me the address and I'll ship them when I get back from Maggie Valley. (don't suppose you'll make it this time?)

Hope you get it running soon, let me know if you want the mirrors.

glad to hear from you and glad the u wasnt hurt to bad
stb said to check the kill switch to make sure its off

If you had a spill it sounds like the clutch switch is messed up. The only way I know to check for this is cut into the wiring leaving the clutch handle(two wires). Skin them back and short them out together. If it starts then you will have to order a new left hand switch wiring harness. Good luck!

Tony glad to here your back in the States.
I think Daddy Rabit might be right. It will bump start so that would eliminate the kick stand and the tip over switch. You might check all the connectors under the tank and to the ECU

Good Luck

Maybe you have the elusive ignition problem where the wires come off the switch due to cold solder joint and when you crashed it knocked the wire loose. Just a thought.
Dave

Tony, good to hear from you. I did some reading in the repair manual when I got back to Florida and they say the "tip over" switch actually will reset when you turn the key off and back on again so I doubt that is it. Clutch switch seems like the likely culpret. Kick stand switch would be my second guess.

If I remember right we jumped the starter button and it still didnt start so you can rule that one out.

Lonzol was able to start the bike by rolling down hill and letting out the clutch.

The kick stand switch and the tip over switch will prevent the bike from running. Not just prevent the starter from operating.

Back