Need help choosing a tire, please.

40mmrrsmith

Supercharged
Ride
2005 Rocket 3
I would like to ask those of you who have personal experience riding on the dark side, to help me choose a tire. I've read through all the Darkside threads that I could find, here and elsewhere. It seems that all the tires recommended as best suited for this purpose are discontinued. Even on the darkside website, the tires in the size I would like to use are discontinued. So maybe l can get some recommendations. 2005 RIII Standard looking to install a 225/60r16 . I can't find any directional symmetrical tires and most of the V rated are asymmetrical. I'm looking at this one.BFGoodrich Advantage T/A - 225/60R16 98V what do you think?

I'll throw out my 2 cents worth.

I did a lot of looking when I went to the dark side. I wanted the softest tire I could find...for traction. Next I wanted the best at wet weather capabilities.
I went with a Goodyear F1 eagle GS D3 225x 50x 16. I don't think they make that tire anymore...I could not find it just now. I do like the looks of the Toyo Proxes R1R.

If I were you I would do a 215 x 60 tire instead of the 225. I have heard others say it will handle just a touch better than the 225 and a bunch better than the 245

Now.....super soft tires are for warm weather, most all will say not good for winter weather driving. I know that my F1 in cold weather looses good traction until it gets warm in the winter. So I know that I need to ride more careful for the first 10 or so miles until the tire gets some heat into it...after it has some heat in it, then it is fine...........35*F and below

Not sure what part of Texas you are at but if most of the roads are like the ones I have been on going through there I think you will really like that dark side.

Good luck

The Goodyear F1 Eagle GS D3

Attachments

• tire 002.JPG
    tire 002.JPG
    254 KB · Views: 3
The Goodyear F1 Eagle GS D3
Thanks for your reply and suggestions. Sorry for the delay. I wanted to search for that Goodyear, it's discontinued also. I checked out 215s but didn't find anything suitable. Plus I felt the 225 width was minium me. I thought being a car tire, just go down to the tire shop and buy one. Looks like the R3 will be left behind for my up coming ride to Big Ben. Really going to miss having all that torque going up those mountains and etc. If haven't found a DS tire by 4/1, I'll order a MC tire to have when I return. Darkside delayed not abandoned.

The 225 is not necessary there are a lot of guys running 205.

You will 3 x the straight line grip with the dark side .....205 to the 245

The wider the tire the more it wants to stand the bike up.....That is something you will have to get use to and the the extra counter steer you will have to input.

I am not a fan of tires with a lot of deep straight lines going around the tire. I feel they will not flush large amounts of water from under the tire. That is why I liked the Goodyear F1 Eagle DS G3

Proxes T1R
Ultra-High Performance Summer Tire. I like these I think you might

I guess I'll have to give up on the 225/60. I wanted that size because of the larger circumference and less Rev Per Mile. That Goodrich is what I was looking for, just have to change sizes I guess. Thanks

The 225 is not necessary there are a lot of guys running 205.

You will 3 x the straight line grip with the dark side .....205 to the 245

The wider the tire the more it wants to stand the bike up.....That is something you will have to get use to and the the extra counter steer you will have to input.

I am not a fan of tires with a lot of deep straight lines going around the tire. I feel they will not flush large amounts of water from under the tire. That is why I liked the Goodyear F1 Eagle DS G3

Proxes T1R
Ultra-High Performance Summer Tire. I like these I think you might
That Goodyear is an asymmetric tread. Thought that was a no go for Darkside. It's also discontinued. I'm trying to avoid the straight grooves.Directional Symmetrical A/S

Back