Narrowed it down to two... R3T and RSV

Shane35Fowler

.020 Over
Ride
96 Magna VF750CD in the market for a R
Hey yall! I've narrowed my next Motorcycle purchase down to the Rocket 3 Touring that will eventually get a Batwing or the Royal Star Venture! I'm a huge V4 fan! The Royal star venture always gets passed along but its a very capable Motorcycle .The rocket 3T had me scared.... Not about the power but lack of with the touring model . luckily I found this forum and have done some research and it's nothing a fresh tune can't fix .
My current cruiser is a bit of a holligan. VF750 Magna that's ready to tear up the back roads with a peppy V4 . As I am the President of my Local VFW Rider Group I need something for longer stints .that's where the R3T will come in.... I'll still be able to holligan but traveling a few hundred miles a day won't be so taxing to my body lol .

I don't believe you are going to find a lack of power with the R3T. With a little tweaking and a few changes you can bring it up closer to the roadster. It still is a performer without those changes.

Hello Shane and welcome from Virginia. Finding a good used RSV should not be too hard, I love their comfort for sure. I currently have a 2014 R3T with right at 57K miles on it. I have zero problems hitting the road for a short 10 hour blast at 80 MPH on it. But the RSV may beat it in over all couchness.
I do like your spirited loyalty to the Magna, one of my favorite bikes from Honda. I catch myself looking for them ever so often on CL.
When you do buy the R3T though, I added a large BeadRider to the seat for those long summer rides and HippoHands for those long winter rides. Both are great bits of kit for any motorcycle.
2.9.17b.jpg
Brahma 09.25.16.jpg

The only thing that I don't like about the RSV is the Carbs.... Being a touring bike that's not something I do all the time, but it's still worth having a touring bike for all the trips I do take .I imagine with the R3T I'd find myself taking it for the shorter trips more and more over the RSV, So FI beats out.

Yes Boog the poor Magna is often forgotten about but every HD I've come across as been like WTF was that when I blow thier side covers off . For just a 750 having 80+HP is something and at only 540LB it's still nimble enough to carve corners with the Pirell Night Dragon tires it has .

I'm looking for a R3T to test but until my divorce is final I cannot buy one.
I'm in Louisiana if anyone wants to trade off for a ride.

Here's a few pics.... $700 3 years ago from a kid who bought it and let it sit.... Took it to a HD dealership who didn't know what to do when they seen 4 carbs. Put a few $1000 making it the way I like it and getting everything fixed up. Still plan on doing the front suspension and then I'll be happy.....until the HP bug bites me again and I get some Cams and custom ignition.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1528667757400.jpg
    FB_IMG_1528667757400.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 6
  • FB_IMG_1528667905611.jpg
    FB_IMG_1528667905611.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 6
  • FB_IMG_1528667895861.jpg
    FB_IMG_1528667895861.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 5
Welcome from Minden Nevada. If you are like most here once you have a R3 your other bikes will not be ridden much. She's a heavy beast but you can't help but have a stupid grin on your face every time you ride it.

Here's a few pics.... $700 3 years ago from a kid who bought it and let it sit.... Took it to a HD dealership who didn't know what to do when they seen 4 carbs. Put a few $1000 making it the way I like it and getting everything fixed up. Still plan on doing the front suspension and then I'll be happy.....until the HP bug bites me again and I get some Cams and custom ignition.

Howdy! I grew up in Nevada! I miss it terribly!
I doubt that tho . something about the rumble of a V4 spinning 10K RPM and taking off! It's really a mini Rocket . 12.3 1/4 mile from a stock bike. Mines jetted and has supertrapp 4-2 exhaust as well as 1 down 2 up gearing and a 520 conversion . The balance of these bikes is second to none. Coming from sport bikes and superbikes it really is the best of both.... It's not fast compared to those bikes but it still eats 98% of cruisers for breakfast and handles sportbike-esk (minus the brakes YUCK they suck)
I have no doubt I'll love the rockets Power and Torque and hopefully long distance comfort but dragging pegs on the backroads is where I prefer to ride..... But obligations are obligations and taking a 1000 mile Road trip on my magna sounds like a nightmare . 200 miles is about the max I can handle on the buzzy magna .that's where the R3T comes to play .no doubt I'll use it for shorter trips also

Back