britman

Nitrous
Ride
2005 Rocket 3/2014 Moto Guzzi Touring
I am officially changing the name of the Throttle Position Sensor to "Total Piece of Sh%t" and please insert Primary in front to be completely accurate. Replaced mine last August with blue guts model and today the high idle came back. Turned the ignition off at the first stoplight I came too, and it was fine the rest of the day. It was the same scenario last year, intermittent at first and then finally getting to point where it was every other start up. I guess it will be $130 bucks out of my pocket for the TPS, not including labor, and a trip to the Dealer a 100 miles down the road one way. I love this bike, don't get me wrong, but the design of EFI system on a number of the early models is a PITA in reference to idling correctly. Now I have vented so I will quit looking at the new VMax on the Yamaha web page, but it is tempting...........

I feel ya', britman. That sucks and blows simultaneously. I replaced my original Primary Total Piece of **** over the winter.:mad:

Sad to hear. I too have an 05 and I haven't had (yet) any of the problems associated with the year. Strange or lucky?

Hey George, get the tps and I'll come over and help ya install and adjust it. I've got TuneECU on a netbook. Takes just a few minutes. Save ya the labor and the long drive.

I'm just curious...Why don't you get a fault code if the TPS goes defective? Could it be another problem causing this. would it be possible to run the bike in dianostic modewith a laptop to see whats happening?

I would check it and veify with an ohmmeter to see if there is other than linear reading or intermittent reading... if not look for something else. i've seldom heard of TPS problems on cars and Im sure Triumph doesn't wish TPS problems on their bikes. Granted the earlier TPS may have been defective but maybe there is another culprit lurking about! With the symptoms noted I don't believe the TPS is at fault..Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Wait & See

Hey George, get the tps and I'll come over and help ya install and adjust it. I've got TuneECU on a netbook. Takes just a few minutes. Save ya the labor and the long drive.

James, thanks for the offered help and I may take you up on your offer. I just read Dave's thread about using TuneECU for the first time.
http://www.r3owners.net/tuneecu-source/9939-my-1st-use-tuneecu.html
Good to see some of us old time hold outs getting into the modern technology. I haven't had the bike back out since the episode, just to much on the plate right now. Hopefully I am going check under the claw this weekend and clean the crank sensor. I am going to ride her and see if the high idle returns. I will also check on the availability of the TPS. Last year when the updated "blue guts" model was the rage, they were **** near impossible to locate. BTW, have a great Holiday everyone.....

Britman,
The idle stepper motor can cause this problem too. I have mine backed off all the way so it doesn't do anything. You can hear it for a few seconds before starting the bike and then it quits.
In fact, when I tried to adjust it out yesterday, after loading my new tune, it started doing the same thing. My idle speed started sticking at about 2,000 RPM. So I backed it back off, and we're all good.
The trade off is.. it has to warm up for a minute or two before it idles just right. It still idles good though, just kind of like if you had to have the choke on for a bit on a carbed bike.

In the interest of safety, for those of us who have experienced this high idle while riding(myself included)...this can be a scary experience when it happens,and we should all keep in mind where that kill switch is located.

Back