Nailed down coolant leak

Darron1117

Supercharged
Ride
2012 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
Hello Rocketeers,
My coolant leak is definitely coming from the fitting leading from the engine to the small hose. Started the bike and watched until it warmed up and started leaking. How bad of an operation $$$ is this fix? You really have to love these bikes to keep them.

20201130_174035.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess i was right? Coming off of the radiator correct? Yes it can be brazed. Your going to need to find a old school shop with some old fart that knows his stuff. Other option is to buy a new radiator.

Your sure it’s not leaking from the thermostat housing or the bleed screw? I’ve never taken that elbow out, so. I can’t say how it’s retained in the head.
One note about those silicon hoses , they are tough as heck, and applying lots of force to install hoses can break stuff....

mine will leak right there if the clamps are not perfect and those clamps look jacked up. :DThe clamp has to be perfect just past the buldge in stem on fitting. The samco hoses are a tad short, push on the nipples better. If your fitting is leaking well thats different but i think its the hose dripping where those clamps are stretched over torqued and not square, new clamps position hoses better and put clamp directly off the shoulder of those fitting nipples and this may fix your leaking hose as well. These clamps and how far this hose is pushed on matters on mine or it leaks from either hose, ive had both easy fix. Note the buldge in front of the clamps and hose is pushed all the way on:thumbsup: this leak in this area has been on here lately, last year, those clamps, position of clamps, and hose position fixed that one also. I hope this is your problem and looking at your clamps, hoses, position,it might be. easy fix, compared to pressed hardware.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I did confirm that the elbow is a press fit into the head. I’d def look hard at the surrounding area (the bleed screw circled in pic, is a known leak source) make sure your clamp is sitting right.
62305189-79BF-4C27-BCE7-3F0AB6A87202.jpeg

Guess i was right? Coming off of the radiator correct? Yes it can be brazed. Your going to need to find a old school shop with some old fart that knows his stuff. Other option is to buy a new radiator.
I reposted the photo Sonny, with the green arrow pointing to where it is leaking from.
It's not coming from radiator side.

Your sure it’s not leaking from the thermostat housing or the bleed screw? I’ve never taken that elbow out, so. I can’t say how it’s retained in the head.
One note about those silicon hoses , they are tough as heck, and applying lots of force to install hoses can break stuff....
Bleed screw is good and dry. Where is thermostat housing? I rubbed a Q-tip around the hose connection as it was
leaking and it stayed dry. Coolant dripped from the bottom of the fitting. Will video it leaking and post.

I knew I had seen this on here before! @Boony posted about it awhile back (June of last year), don't know whatever came of it though. He hasn't posted on here since June. Don't know if he's still around here or not.

Back