Nail In Front Tire!

Zutt

Supercharged
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 R
Was riding, stopped at a rest, and this gentleman getting off his BMW and laser vision points out a nail in my front tire. A bummer to say the least with only 1K miles on it.

Then a bunch of younger men who had just got off their supersports bikes, came over to admire the Rocket, and they advised just pulling it out and patching it, stating that they have done the same with their sports bikes and ridden thousands of miles afterwards.

The question to this esteemed forum, is it safe to patch the front tire (I've never had to do that), or should I just take it to dealer and replace it?

P.S: Between seeing it at the rest stop and getting home (20 min ride), I found that part of the head was broken off.

Thank you all.

1622498119512.png

Last edited:
Update:
After making this post, I went out to see if the head was actually broken off or just sank deeper into the rubber and couldn't resist pulling out only to find that it was a tiny screw!
pic attached. I can't imagine it had gone through the rubber and being that the tip of the screw it there, means I probably don't need to do anything.
Anyone has different opinion?
Thanks again.

1622498691875.png

I would mark that spot (in the grove beside it) paint or white out for future refference. Put some soapy water on it to see if it makes bubbles.
If it has a hole i would patch or plug it but would not take it on a long trip.
Just my opinion.

Opinions vary on this, but Metzeler does not recommend repairs. I personally wouldn’t on a front. I have many times on the rear with internal plug patches .

if a rear fails, your in for a ride. If a front fails you crash.

I doubt very seriously that the tire and tread was compromised but try the soapy water and just measure the air in the tire and then check it again the next day and if good then I wouldn't hesitate to ride it. I have never had a front tire plugged so even if the tire was new that would be in the back of my head at higher speeds. Sometimes piece of mind is easier on the nerves at freeway speeds and on trips far from home.

I had a front tire flat shortly after installing a new Avon Cobra tire. A screw in the center of the tread just like yours. However mine was penetrated and went flat. $40 later I had a plug patch and all was good. I ran that tire for about 14,000 miles. It went very fast, took many long trips even a RAA event and a hard track day.

If this were my tire, I would have a regular patch installed over the spot the screw was in the tire.

I had a front tire flat shortly after installing a new Avon Cobra tire. A screw in the center of the tread just like yours. However mine was penetrated and went flat. $40 later I had a plug patch and all was good. I ran that tire for about 14,000 miles. It went very fast, took many long trips even a RAA event and a hard track day.

If this were my tire, I would have a regular patch installed over the spot the screw was in the tire.
What do you mean by a "regular patch" installed over the spot the screw was...? Excuse my ignorance.

Back