Ride
2006 Triumph Rocket III Classic
So I just got my first R3. I am not new to bikes and am somewhat mechanically inclined I just do not know this platform. First question is pic of exhaust with what looks like a plugged o2 bunghole. Is it? If so, why?

Next up is the mystery blue thingy in front of the exhaust header. ???

Then there is the mystery toggle. It is right behind the exhaust header. Is there some function here, or mystery mod?

TIA for any info and assistance.

Attachments

• CD8DF170-F9ED-4328-8136-DF1079A16721.jpeg
    CD8DF170-F9ED-4328-8136-DF1079A16721.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 6B698196-2B47-4085-AC3F-C54BFB2FDD52.jpeg
    6B698196-2B47-4085-AC3F-C54BFB2FDD52.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 60C4A3BB-B32C-46CE-9256-2431AB4E3574.jpeg
    60C4A3BB-B32C-46CE-9256-2431AB4E3574.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 51
You have aftermarket exhaust and someone has put in a custom tune. The o2 sensor has been turned off in the tune and removed so that the ECU does not try to compensate and adjust the fuel mix. The blue thing up front is an aftermarket manual cam chain tensioner, others can chip in and best tell you how to keep your cam chain at correct tension with a manual adjuster rather than the stock auto adjuster. No idea what toggle switch is for.

You have aftermarket exhaust and someone has put in a custom tune. The o2 sensor has been turned off in the tune and removed so that the ECU does not try to compensate and adjust the fuel mix. The blue thing up front is an aftermarket manual cam chain tensioner, others can chip in and best tell you how to keep your cam chain at correct tension with a manual adjuster rather than the stock auto adjuster. No idea what toggle switch is for.
I also posted in the performance forum and someone suggested the toggle might be lighting. I will take the plunge and flip it to find out. They also confirmed the Carpenter Racing exhaust...can I wrap this sucker? The smudge on there is part of my boot - ouch. I should have added that the air box was deleted in favor of K&N ram air. Thank you so much for the info!

I'm going to guess you have more Carpenter parts on that bike than just the exhaust. What if anything do you know about the bikes history?
Nada. Other than it has 25K miles and is the first R3 I could afford that didn't get bought out from under me. Had it shipped to AZ from FL. I will reach out to the sales guy, he said he knew the guy who worked on it. I would not be surprised if there was more. I know these are big displacement and pull hard, but I used to have a fairly extensively modified Hyabusa and my initial impression of this beast is that it would not be left behind. More than that, though, is that I am SO pleased with how comfortable and smooth it rides. I am also looking at bar-end mirror mounts, I really can't see behind me well with these mirrors.

Nada. Other than it has 25K miles and is the first R3 I could afford that didn't get bought out from under me. Had it shipped to AZ from FL. I will reach out to the sales guy, he said he knew the guy who worked on it. I would not be surprised if there was more. I know these are big displacement and pull hard, but I used to have a fairly extensively modified Hyabusa and my initial impression of this beast is that it would not be left behind. More than that, though, is that I am SO pleased with how comfortable and smooth it rides. I am also looking at bar-end mirror mounts, I really can't see behind me well with these mirrors.
Have you posted pictures of the whole bike yet? I've only seen your bits and pieces pictures. Come on show us all ya got.😀

The K&N filters with the rain socks look nice. RamAir is a brand from overseas. The 2 don't go together. You can get a Ram Air ducted Bear Claw for OzRider in Austrailia. It is made of Fiberglass and looks real good too. Works well they say. I had one many years ago but with my Corbin fairing I could not make full stop left turns. So I sold it. Kind of kicked myself for doing that.
This is a RAMAIR Filter
20200329_222456.jpg

Ram Air Bear Claw from OZ
More for sale 007.JPG
You can see my Triumph Oval Mirrors here.
Dobeck 001.JPG
Those Yamaha style mirrors are nice,but the stems they are on are to low and too short. you could get higher/longer stems for them or get a set of oval or teardrop Triumph mirrors.

When that Metz front tire wears out, ( it won't be long) replace it with an AVON Cobra Chrome 140/75R-17 V rated.

The K&N filters with the rain socks look nice. RamAir is a brand from overseas. The 2 don't go together. You can get a Ram Air ducted Bear Claw for OzRider in Austrailia. It is made of Fiberglass and looks real good too. Works well they say. I had one many years ago but with my Corbin fairing I could not make full stop left turns. So I sold it. Kind of kicked myself for doing that.
This is a RAMAIR Filter
20200329_222456.jpg

Ram Air Bear Claw from OZ
More for sale 007.JPG
You can see my Triumph Oval Mirrors here.
Dobeck 001.JPG
Those Yamaha style mirrors are nice,but the stems they are on are to low and too short. you could get higher/longer stems for them or get a set of oval or teardrop Triumph mirrors.

When that Metz front tire wears out, ( it won't be long) replace it with an AVON Cobra Chrome 140/75R-17 V rated.
My apologies, I used ram air meaning short ram intake, was not aware that there was a literal "Ramair" system. The stock listing for the tire is 150/80, any particular reason for the size recommendation?

Back