My year on the darkside

kblahetka

Supercharged
Ride
2005 r3
This is just information for anyone considering the move. I'm not looking to debate the pros and cons with anyone.

To start, I am not a very aggressive rider and I put on a pretty average amount of miles per year for living in the midwest.

I installed last winter a 245/50 raptor on my bike and kept it at 32psi pretty much all year except the experimental phase of figuring out where to set it. I went with the 245 because I have an inner douche bag in me that has a tribal armband tattoo and demands crap like a big fat tire and a 2300 cc motorcycle. The tire was a tight fit and on occasion I wondered if it was rubbing anywhere. I would occasionally hear some strange sound in parking lots but never saw any evidence of it.

Everybody decribes a car tire as feeling the road more. What I think happens it the road pushes the tire around more. If you come to a stop and have a left to right incline, that tire will want to be flat, and you will have to fight that by holding the bike upright. Driving, the tire gets the same treatment, it's more noticeable at slow speeds. When making a hard right into my driveway, the bike would want to go upright when the tire hit the curb.

Turning requires a little more effort, nothing you need any muscle for. In a sense the turns at higher speeds feel more secure as the handle bars give a more consistent feedback that you are pressing in. You don't tip the bike into a turn, you press and hold it there and when you release that pressure it goes right back up right. The period of adjustment to this is very short. I did manage to scrape pegs more than once and the rear never felt like it was unstable in anyway.

In parking lot maneuvers or slow speeds the car tire is a lot more work, the bike wants to stay upright always. This combined with whatever flaws from the road and you have to remain more focused on the low speed work. This seemed more evident with a passenger.

I decided at some point last summer to go back to a MC tire when this was done. I didn't mind the car tire but the bike didn't feel as nimble with it. I never felt like it was a hazard or unsafe riding it. Earlier this week I ran over a large bolt and elicted to just replace it as I felt like puging a tire that requires so much flex would be a bad plan.

I rode home today n the new MC tire and the bike feels more nimble and light, I had to adjust to putting less pressure on the bars and now I have to actively hold the thing up at lights. All in all, it was the right move for me. If I rode high miles I would consider the car tire a solid option.

Thanks, when I did the move it was very hard to get an objective view point as everyone either swore the bike was better in every way after the move or that it was a rolling death missle.

Me thinks it funny how folks rationalize biased reasons to justify why they did something.
I see nothing wrong with running a car tire as long as you know what it does do and what it does not do.
There is always a less expensive way to do things; however, it generally is not the best way.

Very informative and straight up. From reading your assessment,I've determined the dark is not for me.

A 225/55 would have addressed most of the issues you described. I'm on my 5th year of running darkside and will not be going back. Like you, I'm not an overly aggressive rider so it works for me. I also average 10-12k miles per year so it is an economic choice for me.

I ran the Bridgestone Potenza 245/45ZR 18 back in 2009 at 27 psi and got over 13000 miles out of it. I loved it in the rain. My friend at the Motor Sport Shop put it on and balanced it when at the time it was hard to find anyone willing to put a car tire on a motorcycle. It was a beach getting the old tire off, we ended up using a sawsall and screw driver to cut it off. My friend no longer works at the shop so i went back to the motorcyle tire.

Last edited:
Back