My Rocket ruined my Daytona

Claviger

Aspiring Student
Ride
'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
So, I hadn't ridden my Daytona 955 since I bought my Rocket. Today I finished up all the little things on it that needed to be done for it to be tip-top shape again, and decided to take it to work instead of the R3R.

Where do I start lol. First it feels TINY and super light. The bars are to narrow now, the seat to high, the clipons are to far back, to far up, and to close to the bike. I start out knowing I'll get used to the position in no time, but then the next shock came.

WHERE IS THE TORQUE?! There was once a time, not too long ago, when I was of the opinion that the Daytona 955 had a healthy amount of torque (among sport bikes, it really does at 74lb-ft). Now, after getting accustomed to the R3R, the 'Tona feels like a lawn mower lol.

Decided maybe I just needed to rev her up some, so start playing with the 8K plus region on the tach. Oh, yeah, there is the power lol. Still, even ripping it to redline, I think the R3R has ruined sports bikes for me forever, only feels fast around redline and never really has that rush of torque like the rocket :(

For that matter, I wonder if there is any other bike I will not feel is weak or slow now after owning the R3R?!

Now I have to decide, make the 'Tona a show bike, Track only bike, or get rid of her and fund a TTS kit for the rocket lol. Decisions... decisions.

So, a take back the word ruined, and replace it with repurposed.

I found this thing shortly after I typed this, its called a turn! Once I found them I remembered why i loved the 'Tona so much, retarded turning capability lol.

There now I have an excuse to keep putting money into both bikes and keeping the tona :)

I was lucky enough recently to ride a number of Triumphs - both new Thunderbirds, a Roadster (hadn't actually ridden one before), Street Triple R, Daytona R (675), Speed Triple among them. Have to say I'd happily have both a Street and a Speed Triple in my garage and would ride them often. Not that they compare at all to the Rocket but I got a real blast out of riding them both. Actually the Daytona is most insane bike I've ever ridden, speed shifter and all, but after 5 minutes my neck, lower back and hands were ready to pack it in - but not quite enough for me to shorten my 1/2 hour stint. I'd have one of those too.

The LT and Commander are quite nice to ride but as already noted by someone else on here, the seats are to die for. Interestingly, the Commander with the 200 rear seemed to corner better and was more comfortable overall than the narrower wheeled LT.

The Roadster felt a bit different to mine, mostly due to the higher seat and I really (really) dislike the peg position. The stock grips felt odd too. Didn't go too bad though!

Still love mine the best but would happily get it a little play mate.

For me my 990 KTM is now for flicking through the twisties, it still does that rather well, but it does feel a little gutless when gunning it out of the bends....the Rocket is for EVERYTHING else and the twisties if I feel a little adventurous....

I definately wont bother with anything below 1000cc after the Rocket...even a test ride on a new 1200 explorer left me a little underwhelmed

For me my 990 KTM is now for flicking through the twisties, it still does that rather well, but it does feel a little gutless when gunning it out of the bends....the Rocket is for EVERYTHING else and the twisties if I feel a little adventurous....

I definately wont bother with anything below 1000cc after the Rocket...even a test ride on a new 1200 explorer left me a little underwhelmed

Pretty much exactly how I feel now. Total 1st world problem lol.

So, I hadn't ridden my Daytona 955 since I bought my Rocket. Today I finished up all the little things on it that needed to be done for it to be tip-top shape again, and decided to take it to work instead of the R3R.

Where do I start lol. First it feels TINY and super light. The bars are to narrow now, the seat to high, the clipons are to far back, to far up, and to close to the bike. I start out knowing I'll get used to the position in no time, but then the next shock came.

WHERE IS THE TORQUE?! There was once a time, not too long ago, when I was of the opinion that the Daytona 955 had a healthy amount of torque (among sport bikes, it really does at 74lb-ft). Now, after getting accustomed to the R3R, the 'Tona feels like a lawn mower lol.

Decided maybe I just needed to rev her up some, so start playing with the 8K plus region on the tach. Oh, yeah, there is the power lol. Still, even ripping it to redline, I think the R3R has ruined sports bikes for me forever, only feels fast around redline and never really has that rush of torque like the rocket :(

For that matter, I wonder if there is any other bike I will not feel is weak or slow now after owning the R3R?!

Now I have to decide, make the 'Tona a show bike, Track only bike, or get rid of her and fund a TTS kit for the rocket lol. Decisions... decisions.

You know the correct answer is the TTS kit!

It's a slippery slope though. After that all non forced 2300cc bikes would be ruined for you :laugh:

I know what you mean, just sold my 1979 Suzuki gs750. (Had that bike for a long time) I use to think it was fast. Just thought I'd let some one else enjoy it. Sold it in 3 day! Now I can buy some more accessory with out the old lady braking my stones. She does not understand why I need to buy stuff for a brand new bike!!

Back