cusso ken

Living Legend
Ride
2011 Rocket 3 touring
I recently replaced my rear brake pads on my R3T after 20000 Ks from new , I am not a rear brake over user,the original pads were worn but not badly I just thought it was time,the new pads went in surprisingly easily ,and were Ok, and I thought no more about them, today after a nice 300k ride with a few mates I pulled into my garage and felt a shudder and heard a scraping noise from the rear brake , upon inspection I found the pads (genuine Triumph units) were worn down to the metal WTF, I checked my records that I keep on everything I do to any of my vehicles and found the new pads had less than 2000 Ks use,so Tomorrow it,s off to the dealer pads in hand to see if they have any explanation on the rapid demise of the pads, the bike was showing no sign of the brake binding hot or cold as I had wheeled
it around the garage on several occasions .and rolled back when parking on most rides, maybe faulty compound in the brake material or some other reason,has anyone else experienced a simular problem? :(

wow that is unusually fast wear my guess is as you say "faulty pads" I went straight to EBC HH pads after my original wore out I am slightly heavier of rears pads as I do a lot of Towing my heavy camper and there fore use them more than if not towing.
Hope the dealer looks after you

A guy in our club had the same problem with his 2006 std, his problem ended up being he was riding with his foot on the rear brake.

That would do it for sure ,Looking at the Pads I think the actual pad compound have dislodged from the backing plate and fallen away(both sides are down to the metal ,as there is no disc pad dust or residue on the calliper or the rotor and if worn down in less than 2000 Ks the brake assembly would be covered in brake dust ,The Dealer(a wealth of knowledge) has never heard of such a thing ,I told him that when Bonded as opposed to riveted brake shoes came out on truck brakes at first this was quite a frequent occurrence, any how I await for a new set of Genuine triumph brake pads to arrive for another go, luckily I am away helping some mates with flood damage and not missing out on riding time due to this happening.

My friend Bob had a similar problem except only one side wore out prematurely. Turned out to be the caliper was frozen up and not floating on the float pins. Took 2 times at the dealer under warranty to get it fixed properly. (But that could have been just the fact they don't have a well trained Triumph mechanic.) I had to tell them what to do to get it fixed right.

My friend Bob had a similar problem except only one side wore out prematurely. Turned out to be the caliper was frozen up and not floating on the float pins. Took 2 times at the dealer under warranty to get it fixed properly. (But that could have been just the fact they don't have a well trained Triumph mechanic.) I had to tell them what to do to get it fixed right.

Thanks mate for the input, all free on the pins ,what has got me convinced that the pads were faulty and dislodged is the lack of any brake dust on the brake area if they were wearing that fast surely the wheel and hub ect would be covered in dust ,but the wheel/rotor and calliper are clean , the originals lasted 20000Ks and still have some pad left so I am not a rear brake abuser, soon know when I get the new set on.

Thanks mate for the input, all free on the pins ,what has got me convinced that the pads were faulty and dislodged is the lack of any brake dust on the brake area if they were wearing that fast surely the wheel and hub ect would be covered in dust ,but the wheel/rotor and calliper are clean , the originals lasted 20000Ks and still have some pad left so I am not a rear brake abuser, soon know when I get the new set on.

Just fitted my new set of rear pads once again genuine Triumph part#T2021995 ,in triumph packaging but in a Brembo inner wrap ,the other set just came in a plain packet and had no diagonal cuts across the pads,I think I was sold some Ah Fing Moo brand by the dealer but the guy who served me before was "away" or cowering in the store room ,no explaination or refund, the New ones cost A$79.00 ouch but if they last as long as the originals I don't mind ,the old set could be exhibit A in a midnight showroom widow smashing incident ,just kidding I am not like that anymore:sneaky:

I recently replaced my rear brake pads on my R3T after 20000 Ks from new , I am not a rear brake over user,the original pads were worn but not badly I just thought it was time,the new pads went in surprisingly easily ,and were Ok, and I thought no more about them, today after a nice 300k ride with a few mates I pulled into my garage and felt a shudder and heard a scraping noise from the rear brake , upon inspection I found the pads (genuine Triumph units) were worn down to the metal WTF, I checked my records that I keep on everything I do to any of my vehicles and found the new pads had less than 2000 Ks use,so Tomorrow it,s off to the dealer pads in hand to see if they have any explanation on the rapid demise of the pads, the bike was showing no sign of the brake binding hot or cold as I had wheeled
it around the garage on several occasions .and rolled back when parking on most rides, maybe faulty compound in the brake material or some other reason,has anyone else experienced a simular problem? :(

I changed my pads on my R3T several times and one time I only got 1000 miles out of them...I couldn't believe it! After checking the packaging, they were organic pads and not sintered...About the same price but no where near the mileage!

Back