My first 11K miles; 2014 R3T

Boog

Traveling Story Teller
Ride
2014 R3T, RAMAIR, Full Viking Dual exhaust
1395842_10201498001264989_1889373228_n.jpg

My first 11,000 miles on the ’14 R3T have been great! No serious problems so far and it has only had a few minor matters to mention. Here is the run down:
1. TPS needed adjusting after a few miles of riding it. Dealer fixed on day two of owning it.
2. Break in oil change on day three.
3. Left fog light burned out at 800 miles, dealer replaced under warranty.
4. GPS failed at 6,490 miles, dealer replaced under warranty.
5. Fitted TORs and new tune at 6,490 miles. (Should have done this in the beginning).
6. Right fog light burned out at 8,000 miles, dealer replaced under warranty.
7. Added a Dowco Iron Rider Main Bag to the back at 8,200 miles, (Very useful for about five days worth of clothing)
8. Added a ‘Bead Rider’ seat cover at 8,300 miles, (Love the way it keeps the bum dry on hot days, And, after getting soaked in a downpour, the bum was dry in about 45 minutes of riding once the rain stopped).
9. Swapped tires for Exedra Max at 8,870 miles.
10. 10,000 mile service completed without any issues other than the oil filter cover needs to be replaced. Awaiting arrival.
11. Turn switch is going out. Right side will not work when the humidity is high or it’s raining. Awaiting parts to arrive.
I have made one long trip (10.5 hours each way) to middle Tennessee. Best mileage was 39 MPG at 80-85 MPH.
Riding two up is a breeze.
Future upgrades:
1. Heated grips, haven’t decided which ones yet but OEM grips are wearing out now.
2. More luggage, probably from Dowco Iron Rider series as they all fit together well.
3. Maybe an auxiliary fuel cell so I don’t have to stop every 160-180 miles to refuel while on road trips.
All in all, I love this machine!

If you're getting heated grips, avoid the OEM and go with something else. Maybe Kuryakyn Iso-grips and another heater kit. The OEM heated grips are cheap plastic and tend to fail (maybe you already knew that, there are threads on here discussing it.) I'm going to pull mine this winter and get the chrome switch covers and mount either Iso-grips or some other pretty chrome grips. The heat adjuster for the OEM ones is also incredibly ugly and blocky.

Last edited:
Der Ogremeister surely has some expertise with regard to keeping one's hands warm. Keep it clean, Doctor!:p

Thankyou for your report, it's good to know what to sort of look out for, and great to hear nothing major has happened, although I'm only at 3000 km right now and still have abit of ways to go, so far so good. I got my TORS at 800km and am absolutely liking them. People have commented on how the bike purrs when i'm riding slow through the neighbourhood.

It's been awhile since i've seen any Rocket III's in these parts , but i have to say i like those rims i had no idea they made them.. There's a Rocket Captain on another site named Lee he is all about the auxilary fuel cell, if anyone could stear you in the right direction it's him...:thumbsup:

Nice, very nice ride. Thought about cruise control??

I have but haven't ever used one before on a bike. I think a throttle lock is about all one can add to a Rocket though unless I need more education on the matter.

I have but haven't ever used one before on a bike. I think a throttle lock is about all one can add to a Rocket though unless I need more education on the matter.

McCruise the olny good one to have and work great

Back