My 06 Classic blew up ????????

JoseyR3Wales

Living Legend
Ride
2014 Victory Vision Tour
As you folks know, I traded my 06 Classic R3 and a 2011 T Bird Storm in on my current bike. The dealer tells me that the wholesaler that took both bikes kept the Rocket for his own stable for a couple of months, then..........decided to let it go via auction in Florida somewhere. One of the conditions of auction is you have a 24 hour Grace period to return a bike if there is a hidden issue with any bike you buy there. My old Rocket was returned the next day with spun connecting rod bearing (s) on the crank shaft. W T F? My bike was NEVER abused. Oil changes way before intervals. What did these folks do to cause such a catastrophic failure ?

Hmm the only Rocket I seen lose a rod bearing besides the two that broke the crankshaft right in #1 rod journal. Was one that did not have the correct amount of oil and clogged sump screens. I would say oil loss but are the mains damaged also.

I wonder if the oil was drained for shipping and maybe someone forgot to put it back in before it fired up. Tell them I am interested in a parts bike in fact I have a 06 engine sitting in the basement I could slip into it. :D

Never heard of an R3 oil pump failing. Possibly someone did half an oil change and forgot the "refill" part ? It would be interesting to hear Paul Harvey's "the rest of the story".

P.S. If either of the above happened it seems like the oil light would have come on :confused:

As you folks know, I traded my 06 Classic R3 and a 2011 T Bird Storm in on my current bike. The dealer tells me that the wholesaler that took both bikes kept the Rocket for his own stable for a couple of months, then..........decided to let it go via auction in Florida somewhere. One of the conditions of auction is you have a 24 hour Grace period to return a bike if there is a hidden issue with any bike you buy there. My old Rocket was returned the next day with spun connecting rod bearing (s) on the crank shaft. W T F? My bike was NEVER abused. Oil changes way before intervals. What did these folks do to cause such a catastrophic failure ?

Sounds like the wholesaler flogged it within an inch of it's life. Knew that he had damaged it and was hoping that it would make it beyond the 24 hour mark before it let go after the sale.

Had just done the oil change myself, pulled the shaft and greased the splines myself and installed a brand new rear tire all about200 miles before I traded it. Someone did something very wrong.

Back