Mustang seat with or without backrest

Jeremy Holm

.020 Over
Ride
2008 Rocket III Touring
Looking at buying a mustang two piece seat but debating between backrest or no. I've ridden across the US a couple of times and always just used my luggage as a back rest. I don't see myself ring around with it on locally, just for long distance rides. So I'm not sure I want to spend the extra $200 to have the backrest option. Anyone have one that can either sell me on it or confirm I'm better off without it?

I have a two piece Mustang on my Harley Ultra Classic with the backrest. Not knowing your age, back pain history, if any, etc. I'd say invest the $200.00......much easier to do now than later. Very easy to remove the backrest on a Mustang.....you just pull it up and out if you don't want to use it. Years ago I started using backrests thanks to back pain after just a couple hours in the saddle......maybe poor posture on my part but at 6'4"/260 lbs/71 years old...... I need a back rest. The Mustang folds down flat to the seat so it is very easy to mount the bike and then flip it up to riding position. Backrest is small enough to put it in a saddlebag or other travel bag if you don't want it installed all the time. My Ultimate backrest on my Rocket is basically permanent and not removable without wrenches and a half hour or so on the clock........so I consider the Mustang setup much more flexible. :)

PS I tried to find a Mustang for my 2006 Rocket Classic but they don't make one.....only for the Touring.....you lucky dog. I ended up replacing the original one piece seat on the Rocket with a two piece Rocket Roadster setup, because I like the look much better than the one piece seat, and then fabricated hardware to mount the Ultimate backrest that was previously installed on the one piece seat. Why fabricate instead of just buying the adapter from Ultimate? Because those greedy B...ards would not sell me the adapter hardware without forcing me to buy a complete backrest. :(

Last edited:
I have the Triumph touring seat with back rest. For me the backrest allows an extra 300-500 miles a day without issue. I also enjoy it on shorter rides. I went for years without one and wish I hadn't. Your comfort and stamina may be different... but I'd suggest it's worth the investment.
-MIG

Back