Muffler tuning (exhaust) question

Rhymel

.020 Over
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Roadster
Hey guys

I had my '14 Rocket Roadster for over a month. It came with aftermarket pipes, all welded from header to mufflers from 3 to 1 to 2. Both of my mufflers had no baffles, so I was able to get a couple to bolt into the mufflers to help quiet it down just a little, and it makes an awsome sound.

The problem, if it is one, at least for me, is that the right muffler is discolored from taking the bulk of the exhaust, and the left isn't discolored. You can feel it when ideling that more of the hot exhaust comes from the right muffler, and less cooler exhaust comes out the left.

Is there a way to place a slightly more restrictive baffle in the right muffler to force more exhaust to the left muffler? Think this will work?

Thanks for any advice.

You could definitely do that, and balance the flow, but, it’s going to cost you some power.

It’s m curious why the mufflers are discoloring in the first place, they should be all that hot if there aren’t any cats in them.

A picture so we can identify which exhaust it is would help :)

Hey guys

I had my '14 Rocket Roadster for over a month. It came with aftermarket pipes, all welded from header to mufflers from 3 to 1 to 2. Both of my mufflers had no baffles, so I was able to get a couple to bolt into the mufflers to help quiet it down just a little, and it makes an awsome sound.

The problem, if it is one, at least for me, is that the right muffler is discolored from taking the bulk of the exhaust, and the left isn't discolored. You can feel it when ideling that more of the hot exhaust comes from the right muffler, and less cooler exhaust comes out the left.

Is there a way to place a slightly more restrictive baffle in the right muffler to force more exhaust to the left muffler? Think this will work?

Thanks for any advice.

A Paul Bryant crossover pipe....

BTW....When I first got my crossover pipe from Paul I looked inside of it. I noticed the intersecting pipe protruding out over half way into the path of the right side pipe. I considered grinding part of it out of the way but decided I better talk to Paul first. He informed me that it was done that way on purpose to balance out exhaust to each muffler. If it wasn't done that way most of the exhaust flow would go out the right muffler. It seems to work as my mufflers seem pretty equal and the TORs sound great.

Last edited:
Hey guys

Thanks for any advice.
I can’t see you fixing the heat part, mine from brand new you feel the heat on the right side, for obvious reasons, the header pipes.

A Paul Bryant crossover pipe....

BTW....When I first got my crossover pipe from Paul I looked inside of it. I noticed the intersecting pipe protruding out over half way into the path of the right side pipe. I considered grinding part of it out of the way but decided I better talk to Paul first. He informed me that it was done that way on purpose to balance out exhaust to each muffler. If it wasn't done that way most of the exhaust flow would go out the right muffler. It seems to work as my mufflers seem pretty equal and the TORs sound great.
That would be about right.

You could definitely do that, and balance the flow, but, it’s going to cost you some power.

It’s m curious why the mufflers are discoloring in the first place, they should be all that hot if there aren’t any cats in them.

A picture so we can identify which exhaust it is would help :)
Probably the best photo I have of it for now. All welded. Think I'll go a little redneck on it and add a stainless steel wool pad to the right baffle, start it up and feel to see if it makes a difference.

Attachments

• 20180427_163044.jpg
    20180427_163044.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 5
Hey guys

Thanks for any advice.
Removed right baffle and added a stainless steel scrub pad. Sewn on with stainless steel wire. Right is still getting bulk, and left is getting a little more than before. But I'm happy with that. Will try it out on the highway when this rain stops.

Removed right baffle and added a stainless steel scrub pad. Sewn on with stainless steel wire. Right is still getting bulk, and left is getting a little more than before. But I'm happy with that. Will try it out on the highway when this rain stops.

Back