MPH Gear changing

maurice

Nitrous
Ride
2020 R3 GT
Just curious what others approximate speed is when changing gears. Not when your getting on it full force, but your normal going in town.
I noticed my mpg were high compared to others, and see it's that I have changed gears too soon to have the most fun. Now I am in 4th going 60-65 and like it. I was going 20-30 in 2nd, 30-40 in 3rd etc.
Don't mind visiting pump more often.
Do you think the motor "likes" the higher revs?

If I'm cruising on a boring straight highway at 100 km/h I'll be in 6th. If it's a fun highway with high speed sweepers, I'll be in 4th or 5th at that speed, depending on how tight the upcoming curve is.

However, I rarely cruise at 100. I prefer 120-130.

I'll prefer to change gears by the rpm, not the speed. I don't like to keep the engine under 3000 rpm, but agree, in a boring straight line I could go to 6th just because

I'll prefer to change gears by the rpm, not the speed. I don't like to keep the engine under 3000 rpm, but agree, in a boring straight line I could go to 6th just because
Funny enough, when my wife wanted to drive my old stick shift mustang, I cringe when she changed gears too soon. ..

... no much idea how engines work internally today with oil lifters, oil sumps and stuff, but in the past I think if you kept lower rpm you may not have enough oil lubricating the top part of the engine

I think the bike runs well from 2500 rpm on up. It gets a bit buzzy around 6000. When just cruising I’ll range from 2500-3500 rpm.

I appreciate the responses, and they confirm my observation. Bike feels and runs the best about 3-3.5k rpms regardless of the gear. So much more fun than lower rpms. Motor seems really smoother there by feel and sound.

for what its worth most car automatics shift between 2500 to 3000 with what i call a lite throttle.
if i am in no hurry sometimes i shift 1-3 and 3-5.
mostly 3000.

for what its worth most car automatics shift between 2500 to 3000 with what i call a lite throttle.
if i am in no hurry sometimes i shift 1-3 and 3-5.
mostly 3000.
What I noticed is I like cruising around at 3k. Change to next gear if 3.5k mostly.
I think your motor would be happier not shifting at 3k.😁

Back