Moving the two-wheel to 3

Micksan

Supercharged
Ride
2023 Triumph R3 GT, 2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT,
About a week ago we decided to convert the R#T, into a trike. After checking around we decided to use Motor Trike. My first choice would have been Hannigan. I have been dealing with them for more years than either of us would like to admit. The problem is they had only sold 3 kits so they took them off their list. The local Motor Trike dealer has a great reputation. I am not allowed to do it myself like I did the wifes sidecars. One big selling point for the wife is the electric reverse.
There are going to be a lot of removed parts I will be putting up for sale. When the time comes I will post them on this page. 6 or 7 years ago I had to part out my 06. rather than Ebay them I was able to sell them all on here at a lower price. Did not have to figure in Ebay & Paypal commission of 13%. That will not be for a few weeks to a month.

Have to ask, why a trike and not a sidecar?

Trikes cost more and cannot switch back to two wheels once the conversion is made. I see a lot of trikes for sale depressing their value while I see very few sidecar rigs come up for sale. Just curious...

Trikes cost more and cannot switch back to two wheels once the conversion is made. I see a lot of trikes for sale depressing their value while I see very few sidecar rigs come up for sale. Just curious...
Great question. I have to fall back on our past experiences. First of all my wife started riding right after we got married almost 25 years ago. Took to it like a duck to water. She started out on the BMW R850. At a rally, she was introduced to sidecars. Neither of us knew the first thing about them. So our experiments started. At first, we stayed in the BMW fold. Found a Velorex that a dealer in Tulsa promised us was easy to install and perfect for an R100 (1000CC). First lesson Way to light, tried to fly quickly. Next was the used EML. A nightmare to work on the bike. Then We decided to go with a Hannigan. Had known them for some time with their fairings. This was going on a Moto Guzzi 1100 EML. We picked out one online called it in. The next day He calls and gave me my next important lesson. the car must match bikes HP. I had picked out one that was too large. Recommended another $500 cheaper also. Worked great. went through two bikes and about 60K miles. Just so happens on the Guzzi we did not need a front-end mon to call the easy steer. All the rest have had it. ( change the triple tree) . Once modified you can forget about riding it as a two-wheeler. The cost of the trike will be about 3000 more than a sidecar. The upside of this has been that the three trikes I have owned and sold I came out a bit ahead. Not enough to really brag about, but enough to make me feel good. A couple of reasons. First I bought the bike then had it converted. Second, kept good maintenance records, which is a great selling factor. One other thing. Trikes are one of the fastest-growing segment of the MC community. This is for the 45+ crowd. I still love my two wheels going through the twisties in the Rockies. And the feel of a 3 wheel sports vehicle. With this HP it should be a Kick. Hope I did not to wordy.

Last edited:

After I replied to your question, I saw your partial picture. after clicking on it I was able to admire your side hack. Looks like in this picture that it is homemade.If so you did a nice job. I am guessing it is a cargo car. I cheat and install the kits. Never learned to weld. I worked on Torpedos and my bosses would have frowned if I started playing with a welding rig.

I will be waiting and following this thread. Parts ah yes i think i may need just some of the items removed for a trike :sneaky: :roll: Good luck with your build, post it up for us

After I replied to your question, I saw your partial picture. after clicking on it I was able to admire your side hack. Looks like in this picture that it is homemade.If so you did a nice job. I am guessing it is a cargo car.
Not a cargo box, actually it is a pop-up camper I use for multi-day rides. It was attached to a vstrom1000 till I swapped that for the R3. My other rig is a traditional sidecar set up.

I asked as am truly interested in people's thinking when they go either with a trike or with a sidecar. They each have their distinct advantages. Test riding a Can-Am is what pushed me toward sidecars and away from trikes.

Not a cargo box, actually it is a pop-up camper I use for multi-day rides. It was attached to a vstrom1000 till I swapped that for the R3. My other rig is a traditional sidecar set up.

I asked as am truly interested in people's thinking when they go either with a trike or with a sidecar. They each have their distinct advantages. Test riding a Can-Am is what pushed me toward sidecars and away from trikes.
We tried out the Can-Am . Neither of were impressed with them. I know a lot of people really like them. I just feel more secure on the traditional Trike. If the front tire goes out I can handle it better. About like a bike.

About a week ago we decided to convert the R#T, into a trike. After checking around we decided to use Motor Trike. My first choice would have been Hannigan. I have been dealing with them for more years than either of us would like to admit. The problem is they had only sold 3 kits so they took them off their list. The local Motor Trike dealer has a great reputation. I am not allowed to do it myself like I did the wifes sidecars. One big selling point for the wife is the electric reverse.
There are going to be a lot of removed parts I will be putting up for sale. When the time comes I will post them on this page. 6 or 7 years ago I had to part out my 06. rather than Ebay them I was able to sell them all on here at a lower price. Did not have to figure in Ebay & Paypal commission of 13%. That will not be for a few weeks to a month.
Picked this Motor Trike conversion, to a 2015 about 3 months ago.

Attachments

• PXL_20210802_002447459.jpg
    PXL_20210802_002447459.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 16
Back