Moving sensor after K&N install

Waconut

.060 Over
Ride
2011 Rocket Roadster, 04 Sprint RS, 66 T100R,
finally ready to put my exhaust and filters on. Just wondering what gage and type of wire most of you have used to lengthen your sensor wires so you can relocate it to where it needs to be. I know some have just gotten the Ramair extension, but I'm going to just lengthen mine. Thanks for the input in advance

About 12" of 20 gauge fine strand copper with silicon insulation, not copper clad aluminum will work just fine. I've used it for multiple sensor extensions in various locations.

Solder both ends and you're good to go.

Thanks. I just know from controls at work that some sensors are really sensitive to what gage wire you use. Had some that if you used too large a gage it would give false faults. That one baffled me. I can understand too small and resistance problems lol

All I did was put it as close to the air filter as I could. Then zip tied it to the frame. No need for a extension. Zip tied small k&n to the end of the sensor. Hope this information helps you.

All I did was put it as close to the air filter as I could. Then zip tied it to the frame. No need for a extension. Zip tied small k&n to the end of the sensor. Hope this information helps you.

I have just made the exact same conversion, I wasn't as lucky as @skydog1000 with the AIT, I tried placing mine in numerous different places . All of which didn't seem to work at varying temperatures as well as I would have liked ! Eventually I settled with between cyl 2 and 3 , as close to the pods as possible. And as advised above , used a small KnN crankcase filter to protect the delicate sensor .As it happens , that position is the same location as the AIT fitment on the Ramair system. Talking of Ramair , if you mail them , they will sell you an extension cable which does just that , up to OEM specs . Good luck !
As a footnote , I found the AIT getting hot in the little filter, so I opened up the chrome end and replaced it with very fine gauze . Now she perfect !

I have just made the exact same conversion, I wasn't as lucky as @skydog1000 with the AIT, I tried placing mine in numerous different places . All of which didn't seem to work at varying temperatures as well as I would have liked ! Eventually I settled with between cyl 2 and 3 , as close to the pods as possible. And as advised above , used a small KnN crankcase filter to protect the delicate sensor .As it happens , that position is the same location as the AIT fitment on the Ramair system. Talking of Ramair , if you mail them , they will sell you an extension cable which does just that , up to OEM specs . Good luck !
As a footnote , I found the AIT getting hot in the little filter, so I opened up the chrome end and replaced it with very fine gauze . Now she perfect !
Appreciate the input. An problem with it getting any moisture with the gauze in the end?

I have just made the exact same conversion, I wasn't as lucky as @skydog1000 with the AIT, I tried placing mine in numerous different places . All of which didn't seem to work at varying temperatures as well as I would have liked !
One issue being almost certainly nothing to do with the position "per se" but also a mass load of other issues I am "thinking about".
There is a massive amount of HOT air drawn into the filters that is "wash" off the radiator.
Some of this, in my case, is very probably due to certain air deflectors while moving.
Sat still in heavy traffic - I hit 50°C AIT. And there was a coolish cross breeze.
This is not "news", but being able to quantify it - was a revelation.

Appreciate the input. An problem with it getting any moisture with the gauze in the end?
not yet . The gauze end is sheltered between the 2 pods ! It's a game of trial and error , but I would guess that the AIT should be measuring the air temp as near to the filters as possible ie just before it enters the inlet tract !

Back