Mounting lower deflectors

TRath

Supercharged
Ride
'09 RIII Classic Custom, '82 GL500 Café, '82 CBX
Am I really this dumb? This should be a nothing install and I just con't figure it out. Took them to the dealer and they couldn't figure it out. Ordered another set and they're the same.

The bracket has a lip at both tips (left red circle), making it so that they won't line up or tighten properly.
I have the directions in the pic with the bracket, and you can see that on paper one of the edges is straight (right red circle) so that everything works.

Is there an issue with the brackets or is everyone I've talked to (plus myself) just too dense to manage what should be a simple install?

Attachments

• Deflectors1.jpg
    Deflectors1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 130
Looks to me the one in the left circle has an extra bend at the end.
Believe I'd get a grinder out and cut that lip off.
Would the holes line up IF that lip wasn't there?
Can't tell from the pic.

Those are same as the ones I put on. Sand the edges of the inside or you will scratch your forks when u put them on. Throw the clear plastic thingys away and put three layers of duct tape on the inside.Do one layer at a time and cut the excess away from the edges with a razor knife. I did this after fighting with mine. Triumph should be shot for some of the crap they sell as "axcessories". I was very dissapointed with the quality of the fit and finish.
O.

I've had these on for years and they're still on. I didn't use any protective tape but since I haven't taken them off, I don't know if the forks are scratched.

Am I really this dumb? This should be a nothing install and I just con't figure it out. Took them to the dealer and they couldn't figure it out. Ordered another set and they're the same.

The bracket has a lip at both tips (left red circle), making it so that they won't line up or tighten properly.
I have the directions in the pic with the bracket, and you can see that on paper one of the edges is straight (right red circle) so that everything works.

Is there an issue with the brackets or is everyone I've talked to (plus myself) just too dense to manage what should be a simple install?

No your not that dumb, but maybe you should try a different dealer; they can be a PITA to fit as I have just fitted a set. I used the supplied tape split down the middle (same width as the brackets) be sure to use masking tape or similar between the mounting brackets as you will end up scratching the fork legs (ask me how I know).

Definately a two person job as the brackets need to be held in close proximity to the bolt holes whilst the other person instals the bolt and starts the nut, do this to both upper and lower brackets before tightening and align with cut outs over the indicators.

Good luck!

Peter

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Mine look like jrhorton's. Except my protective rubber gasket is black. They have been on both of my Rockets with no problems.

Huh, just weird that they don't set flat. Thanks for all the replies, I'll go get them on once the snow:mad: clears up again.

Back