Motorcycle Trailer

dougl

Living Legend
Ride
2007 R3 Classic
Someone asked me how a motorcycle can turn with a trailer hitched to the back. If the hitch was rigid, it wouldn't. Is there a swiveled hitch on the bike or on the trailer end?

The one I have on my bushtec is a pin on the hitch and a rotating knuckle coupler, kind of like a tie rod end. The coupler for the trailer spins 360 degrees and the horizontal play is about 45 each way. There is a picture of the trailer coupler here under chrome chassis neck . . Bushtec Full Line Accessories

If you are using a ball type hitch, the coupler still spins 360 degrees but you only have about 30 degrees of horizontal play.

Think of the horizontal the same as on a car but the main shaft from bike to trailer in two pieces that rotate 360.

Last edited:
The one I have on my bushtec is a pin on the hitch and a rotating knuckle coupler, kind of like a tie rod end. The coupler for the trailer spins 360 degrees and the horizontal play is about 45 each way. There is a picture of the trailer coupler here under chrome chassis neck . . Bushtec Full Line Accessories

If you are using a ball type hitch, the coupler still spins 360 degrees but you only have about 30 degrees of horizontal play.

Think of the horizontal the same as on a car but the main shaft from bike to trailer in two pieces that rotate 360.

Thanks for the info.

My hitch is a standard 1 7/8 ball. It also has a swivel in the tongue in the rare occasion that you would lay the bike down. Most newer trailers don't do this, I don't feel it's nesessary.

Bear has a hitch on his bike. It looks standard to me. But I know on the two trailers he has pulled with it the part that goes on the trailer swivels so that if the bike lays over the trailers stay up right.

The one I have on my bushtec is..Bushtec Full Line Accessories
I will book mark it for more intensive search.

Bear has a hitch on his bike. It looks standard to me. But I know on the two trailers he has pulled with it the part that goes on the trailer swivels so that if the bike lays over the trailers stay up right.
And Bear would point an interested party in what direction as for who's trailer ranks #1, for him.

The Hitchdoctor has some good looking products.

Why not just purchase a large Heim joint with stub ends and weld the Heim joint into the hitch tongue. Larger Heim joints come greaseable with nylon ball inserts. That would give you almost 360 degree movement in all axis'.

Heim Joint . . thats the name of it . . Thats exactly what the Bushtec has. There is a pin that the Heim Joint fits over and then a lock that goes on the top of that to hold it together.

I kept thinking ball joint, hind joint . . knew it was something like that.

A woman at work saw a bike with a trailer and asked me why it doesn't tip over when the bike leans. I didn't know but imagined there must be some flexibility in the connection.

Back