Motorcycle Lifts

xguidojr

.020 Over
Need some advice on a lift. My buddy has a Pitbull, and I liked it, but the manufacturer says it won't work with a Rocket 3. How about the Harbor Freight or other models? Anyone have experiences with them good or bad? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I just went through the same questions. I settled on the $100 HF unit good for 1500 pounds. It took me a little over an hour to make the two angle iron brackets and a trip to the hardware store to get the fasteners. I'm happy with it, once I figured out how to get my R3T to balance correctly.

The angle iron is 2" x 2" x 1/4" and cut 2" long (wide). The hole for the bolt going through the frame lug, and upon which the bike is supported, is 1/2", but the bolt going through it is 7/16" (you'll want a little slop, and 7/16" is plenty thick enough to support the bike). The bolts holding the angle iron brackets to the frame are 5/16" with the holes slightly larger (maybe 1/16" larger). Watch your placement of these bolts because the stiffener in the lift rail might be in the way on one of them.

My bike is a Touring model and may fit a little differently. It may have a slightly narrower frame. The length of the rail on the HF lift is 13.5". My bike fits almost perfectly without the need to join the two brackets with angle or strap iron and cantalever the brackets over the edge of the lift rail. The shape of the brackets is different between the right and left side. The left side was a straight cut while the right side had to be fit around the big nut/washer just above the frame lug (a couple minutes of grinding and fitting).

Attachments

• DSCN1147.JPG
    DSCN1147.JPG
    205.7 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN1151.JPG
    DSCN1151.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN1153.JPG
    DSCN1153.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN1155.JPG
    DSCN1155.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN1152.JPG
    DSCN1152.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:
You talking 'lift' or 'jack?' Harbor Freight has a 'lift' that will accomodate any bike (including a Boss Hoss). See: http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-motorcycle-lift-91764.html

What Gorge Rider has is a 'jack.'

I use a 'lift.'

I made the mistake of buying the aluminum jack at the link. I did it because it is very nice quality and also very lightweight and easy to move around in the shop. It has a nice hydraulic unit but a bad design flaw. It only has one position which is all the way up. It doesn't have any intermediate stops like most others but rather a pin that holds the platform in place once extended. And when it is extended, it feels very unstable to me.

Nice brackets Keith. Being able to weld is a nice skill to have.

You talking 'lift' or 'jack?' Harbor Freight has a 'lift' that will accomodate any bike (including a Boss Hoss). See: http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-motorcycle-lift-91764.html

What Gorge Rider has is a 'jack.'

I use a 'lift.'

Atomsplitter, look at the ad for the 1500 pound Motorcycle/ATV Lift to the right of the big red thing. I don't see the word "jack" anywhere.

Mike, no welding involved - just a few cuts with the cut off saw, a little grinding with the angle grinder, and drilling a few holes on the drill press.

rkt88, pay no attention to the little orange and white thing behind the curtain...........

Think "beach ball." Yeah, that's the ticket........."beach ball."

Last edited by a moderator:
GR: I see where the brackets are needed for the rear lift bar. Does the oil pan sit on the front lift bar? I'm thinking of putting the brackets on the bike rather than the lift. What do you think?

Back