Motor trike disappointment

RidinSunshine

Turbocharged
Bear picked up his Motor Trike converted Rocket III from Troup TX on Friday. They said it wouldn't be available until around 4:30pm. (closing at 5pm). So he drove 700 miles round trip to pick it up. Full of great expectations to ride over the weekend. Well....didn't go so well.

Got in around midnight. Got up early and unloaded it from the trailer. Took off on it and was back shortly. I stated that was a short ride. Let me tell you, he was not happy. Seems the rear brakes don't work. And of course Motor Trike was closed until Monday morning. Ruined his whole weekend!

Before he even agreed to go the conversion route he asked all of the correct questions. One being about the brakes. He was told it would have the stopping power of a Ford Ranger. And when he went to pick the bike up the mechanic informed him that he would have to make real regular adjustments to the brakes because of something to do with a small Triumph master cylinder. Now remember guys when reading this story I am a gal and not going to explain all correctly. But anyway after he calmed down a bit he tinkered with the brakes and checked out what he knew to check out without having to do a major overhaul. Still couldn't get them to work. Said he might as well carry a stick to stop himself. I told him to not do too much because considering what he paid to have a turn-key product he needed to get them to make it right.

Anyway has been waiting around all day for them to get back with him on a solution.

I know there aren't very many Rocket III trikes out there but has anyone else had a similar problem?

No pictures to post yet because he didn't want to take a picture of a piece of *&#$&* at this point.

Sunshine,
Relay to Bear for me that I"m sorry his weekend was ruined.
But on a positive note,
it WILL get better,
And the brakes aren't that big a deal.
I think instead of making another monster journey,
I'd take it to a competent mechanic,
let him fix them to Bears satisfaction,
then send the trike builders the bill.
After a call to the owner of the trike builders of course.
Can't wait to see pics.;)

sorry bears weekend did not turn out well definitely be calling the people back and also i agree with skip
but in the meantime bear could still ride it and pretend he is Fred Flintstone :eek::D:D
seriously hope he gets it worked out

A company that would let a customer (very serious in my opinion) take delivery of any vehicle/bike with faulty brakes (or fautlty anything) has to have the ****est quality control ever.

My big question to you is...…who at motor trike has ridden this before you picked it up??? Hopefully no one, than again who would do this kind of extensive work like this and not ride/drive to insure (It's an R3 Trike) complete reliable safe operation of all components??

Might recheck all nuts, bolts and other fasteners for safety.

I'm very sorry to hear about this as well, have followed your post for some time about this.

I must live a "charmed" life my Mazda 2300/Ford Ranger pick up (1995 model) was able to rack up 169,000 miles on it and only needed a generator replaced and one new battery....those two items were done at the 119K (battery) and the 125K (generator) mark.

Dennis

06 dtg KAF
10 dtg Dubai
11 dtg Home
32 dtg Ray's

Thanks guys for your support. Bear could probably fix it himself. He is a really great mechanic. But the whole issue was that he was originally going to cut corners on the conversion and do some stuff himself to save money. But with his back as bad a shape it is and his arthritis in his hands so bad he decided to pay up and have them do everything so he could just get on it and ride. He is not a rich man so paying them over ten grand for something that doesn't work correctly (or safely) is very upsetting. He thought he was paying for a turn-key item. Pay the money and then ride...

As of for now we are still waiting for them to call us back with a solution. There is a place 30 miles from us that sells the Motor Trikes and when they have one brought in that needs service the factory sends a technician to work on it. Hopefully, they will tell him to take it there and save him lots of fuel and miles. Cause Lord knows they probably won't pay his fuel to go all the way back to the factory. But who knows.....

I'll let you guys know status as it happens. And if the situation is handled well I will have pictures posted soon.

We don't know who tested it. He just knows someone rode it because it had ten extra miles on the odometer.

A company that would let a customer (very serious in my opinion) take delivery of any vehicle/bike with faulty brakes (or fautlty anything) has to have the ****est quality control ever.

My big question to you is...…who at motor trike has ridden this before you picked it up??? Hopefully no one, than again who would do this kind of extensive work like this and not ride/drive to insure (It's an R3 Trike) complete reliable safe operation of all components??

Might recheck all nuts, bolts and other fasteners for safety.

I'm very sorry to hear about this as well, have followed your post for some time about this.

Back