MOSFET reg/rec issues

Jted3

.020 Over
Ride
'05 Rocket 111
Hi all
Has anyone had issues with the MOSFET regulators? I am now stranded for the second time because my second reg stopped charging. It will charge fine for a few seconds at startup then cuts right out until battery is dead. I thought the first one was a fluke, it was from RM stator, this one is from Electrosport. Less than a thousand miles since brand new. Also put a brand new battery in last night, made no difference.

... it was from RM stator, this one is from Electrosport ....

The first thing is - buy a genuine Shindengen, not those Chinese knock-offs.

Second - are you sure it is the R/R - original failed? Which would mean THREE fails on your bike? Have you done the stator check?
(Isolation check is simplest check - check resistance from any of the pins to engine ground - should be 'open')

Third - the ultimate protection for your stator is a Series R/R - like the SH847 from the 15+ VStrom DL1000A

The original is still good,I replaced it with the mosfet to "prevent"problems. the first fail was in 2013,but I had also had a headlight modulator short out so thought that could have caused it. I removed that, put the original rr back in- worked fine for two more years. Last winter while installing the update kit as a precaution I put in a new ricks stator (still good,just tested it) and the second mosfet that (I think) just stranded me on skyline drive. just got back home with the uhaul now, tomorrow im going to plug the original back on will probably work fine again. I did not realise those units were chinese junk, they say they are "high quality" (costly lesson learned-$240 tow, $50 cab to get $400 uhaul which didn't have a ramp $120, and now back home instead of maggie valley)I did not know about the series rr, thats what i'll get for sure. yes I would be interested in all three of those things if you would like to send info

Are you talking about your Rocket here?
That IS a MOSFET unit as oem

Last edited:
And a high quality genuine Shindengen too

You should put that back in
But if you really want an upgrade get a Shindengen SH847 Series type R/R which will be less taxing on your stator and aid it's reluability/longevity

Remember @rocketjohn that you'll need to remove the evaporative emissions canister (if fitted, if you haven't already done so). Once that area is clear (and you haven't put a horn in there or anything else sizeable), the SH847 is truly plug 'n play.

Back