More performance, Tune Boy, K&N?

alselec

.060 Over
Is the Tune Boy a good way to go? (sells on newbonneville web site for the R3). Is the K&N airfilter worth getting? Only upgrade I have is the cat bypass pipe which was done at the dealer and tuned to I believe. Was On it when I bought my 06' R3 new. Don't want to chage the stock pipes. Are there any other ways to get max performance? I still get that backfire once in a awhile at slow constant speeds. Think the colder weather has something to do with it.

I am not convinced this is worth the extra money. In theory with the proper tune you have increased the horse power over stock by 15 +-
The reason you put on the K&N is perhaps a little better breathing and perhaps the fact you do not have to replace in the future, just clean them.
As I understand the tuneboy it allows you to change your EFI paremeters, and eliminate the power restrictions in first and second. Is this worth the money to you? I am having the cat replacement done now. I really do not want to buy the tuneboy without access to dynometer. Other captains have used it and love it. However, clearly they are also tinkerers, guys who love the process
Mike

What power restrictions are there in first and second? 15 Hp seems like a lot, is that in the first 2 gears only?

Get tuneboy... If you have an underseat K&N and either stock or TOR pipes with the cat bypass, there is a downloadable tuneboy dynotune (20050_2) that will give you quicker throttle response and about 7-10% more power in the first three gears... That is, the secondary throttle plates open all the way once you start to open the throttle... The are only open all the way in 4th or 5th gear with the Triumph 20055 "wide open" tune... My bike has the 20050_2 tune with cat bypass and stock pipes and K&N... I love it...

Mike...

I was on a tablet PC, so now I must elaborate. TUNEBOY IS AWESOME. Yes I am a minor tinker. I have not developed any original modifications, but have enjoyed some simple ones here on this site. You can cut the wire from the ECU to the gear selector and and wire it to a 700 ohm load, (standard 680 ohm resistor works fine) and the ECU will be fooled into believing it is in 4'th gear. That eliminates the restrictions in 1'st and 2'nd and avoids the top speed restriction. Tune boy does all of that, but MUCH neater and does not molest your wiring loom. In addition, just running the tune of someone on the forum who was kind enough to send me the tune they had done on a dyno has really awakened the bike. It absolutely rips coming off the line. It is smooth and sweet around town, no backfires (well, rarely any :lol: ) and no coughs, idle problems or other farts. The rev limit is nudged up 200 rpm, which gives it a big jump in first gear over a stock RIII, (I don't descriminate, I will annoy anyone who gives me a chance!) The speedo error is eliminated so I have a slight chance that I will get less tickets. It was very hard for me to believe it would be worth the $400.00 price, but it was well worth it in my opinion. Get new shocks first. And set aside a few dollars every week for regular replacements of the rear tire. :lol: :lol:

Tune Boy

Is it easy to set the tune? How do you set it? How do you know where to set it? I have the Cat bypass, stock pipes and just ordered the K&N air filter. Does this eliminate the need to take it to the dealer ever to have the tune checked?

Yeah have to go with CC and Turbofan, just having the ability to scan and trouble code errors, I have never considered not having Tuneboy, mapped on a dyno, If I win lotto I will buy one :roll: boy would it get some use, oh well dreams are free, but not but Tuneboy it costs, but well worth it in my opinion, matched with pipes, then rear shocks, then a seat, then bars, then the rest. :wink:

Re: Tune Boy

alselec said:
Is it easy to set the tune? How do you set it? How do you know where to set it? I have the Cat bypass, stock pipes and just ordered the K&N air filter. Does this eliminate the need to take it to the dealer ever to have the tune checked?

Go to this link to get documentation and software.....

http://www.tuneboy.com.au/Support/Download.html

Download the 20050_2 tune for the Rocket III from this link... It was the one developed for your (and my) R3 hardware configuration....

http://www.tuneboy.com.au/TuneDownloads/Tunes.html

Yes, you no longer have to go to the dealer to have the tune checked...

Mike....

Back