HellFire

Legend
I've been reading and hearing on the internet and around parts/svc depts that something wacky is going down with Mobil and their synthetic oils. The word is that prices are about to go through the roof and that no one can determine the reason for it. Castrol is muscling in on their manufacturers business like Triumph, and there's word that GM's Corvette division may even be switching to another oil. That is BIG!!! Corvette has been with Mobil since the beginning..... wow.
I was just surfing the web and read that WalMart was discontinuing their Mobil 1 bike oil among other things motorcycle and some guy bought 14 quarts of 10/40 for a buck a quart close out.
It's like the magic Mobil synthetic well has run dry and the word is spreading ...

The local Yamaha store near me has placed their last order with Mobil and will now only be using Amsoil and Castrol. The parts manager told me that it was in anticipation to the price of Mobil 1 going to near $17 a quart.

I figured we needed a news thread to keep up with the scuttlebutt on the street concerning MY favorite oil and what the hell is going on with it. I was always a Castrol guy hotrodding in high school before synthetics came out... looks like I may be going back to the red and green once again.
What have you guys heard on the subject?

Porsche uses Mobil 1 as well in 0W40. I don't even know another oil manufacture that makes 0W40.

I use Mobil 1 all the time and as my wife works for Mobil or Exxon Mobil I got a very good discount however when Exxon took over Mobil this stopped. So I now have to pay full price. £45 for 5Lt.:( But i now get a fuel discount card.:)

There is the funny thing about 0 weight synthetics .... the word is that tests put them all at 0 at low temps. Makes me think that Mobil's 0 weight might just be a marketing ploy. I've only just been hearing that from the same guys behind the counter that the $17/quart numbers come from, but the more I look into it the more I think there might be something to it.
The way I read it and know how tests are done, if the temps are lowered on a synthetic that won't thicken past a certain point anyway ... you can come up with about any number you want. The long and short chain molecules are what determine how thick or thin it gets at what temps, since they can alter that at any time why haven't they been doing it in the past? I asked that question of the Castrol rep and he told me that all synthetics are essentially 0 weight at low temp.

?????? now I'm really confused ?????:confused:
That's what prompted me to start this thread hoping I could learn more on the subject.
Hopefully we (I) can get past brand loyalty and get to the bottom of this. I realize everyone has their favorite, maybe we can leave that out and learn more as a group.

Mobile I price increases

As an Amsoil preferred customer, I just received a notice that all of Amsoils products will be going up 4-7 % next month.

Whatever is going on with the synthetic folks seems to be affecting more than just Mobil.

If Bernanke doesn't stop counterfeiting worthless paper to pay off borrowed money, toilet paper squares will be more valuable than dollar bills shortly. They purposely are using inflation as a tool. Hold on guys, it is about to get real rough. You ain't seen nothing yet.

If Bernanke doesn't stop counterfeiting worthless paper to pay off borrowed money, toilet paper squares will be more valuable than dollar bills shortly. They purposely are using inflation as a tool. Hold on guys, it is about to get real rough. You ain't seen nothing yet.

I tend to agree, in general terms. Furthermore, I'm convinced both parties are equally complicit in these machinations. Extreme instability and volatility are the new norm. This maelstrom has been in the making for decades under all previous administrative philosophies. Expect this party to get a whole lot more "interesting".

Bill Maher practically called for a revolt of the middle class on his last show ... too bad things are going to have to get alot worse before we all do get off our butts. I'm closer to the clock tower than most, and I'm still not running out to picket Washington. I often wonder what it will take, the printing money thing just might do it once the masses figure out it's a way to tax without raising taxes.

Im still hording ammo!!!

Bill Maher practically called for a revolt of the middle class on his last show ... too bad things are going to have to get alot worse before we all do get off our butts. I'm closer to the clock tower than most, and I'm still not running out to picket Washington. I often wonder what it will take, the printing money thing just might do it once the masses figure out it's a way to tax without raising taxes.

Back