Missing screw in radiator cap

Phil68

.040 Over
My bike's at the dealer for 10K service. Radiator cap was pressure tested and was fine but they said the little screw in the cap is missing and thats where I'm losing antifreeze from. Dealer has to order a rad cap and wouldn't be in till next week. Anyone know what size this screw is and where I might be able to get one. Maybe there's an auto rad cap that'll fit? Any help appreciated.

My first Rocket came back from service missing the little screw also. Put 20k miles on it with no problem. I think the screw is there just to keep the cap from loosening. But I may be wrong.

I had a look at mine last week when I was investigating a coolant leak. I dont think that screw would cause a leak because the seal is inside the cap.
If its leaking ,its a faulty cap or the coolant hose from the overflow tank is not clamped properly.

..hey PC..what dealer ya using??..I've taken mine to Manayunk Triumph in Phila a few times..they're a little expensive (probably no more than the rest), but they seem to have a good service manager and technicians..if that little screw allows fluid to escape, it's a **** poor design..I ain't buying it..look for another dealer for servicing..

The fluid could leak from the small hole if the seals are worn, just found a spare cap i have and the small hole is out side the sealing area but if the seals are not holding pressure it could leak . the caps dont last for ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the cap is good check that the clamp on the hose to overflow tank is seated properly. I had a leak (you could see dried coolant on oil tank after ride) and it was the vent line leaking. the techs at TSS knew exactly what it was when I took it in and fixed it while I waited. They said they had had several complaints of leaky radiator caps but they were all the hose clamp.

..hey PC..what dealer ya using??..I've taken mine to Manayunk Triumph in Phila a few times..they're a little expensive (probably no more than the rest), but they seem to have a good service manager and technicians..if that little screw allows fluid to escape, it's a **** poor design..I ain't buying it..look for another dealer for servicing..

I went to Martin Motorsports in Boyerstown, Pa. $150 less on the 10k svc than Manayunk and they gave me a loaner bike to boot. I went to Manayunk with a warranty issue last year and the owner refused to do the work because he said I didn't buy the bike there. He said he was tired of people buying Triumphs from other dealers and him having to do the warranty stuff and lose money. The svc mgr and techs at Manayunk are top notch, but, in my opinion, the owner is a putz and I'd rather ship my bike to England for service than put a dime in his pocket.

Thanks to all for the info on the cap. I'll have to check the clamps myself over time and try to isolate where the leaks actually comming from. Even though the dealer said the cap pressure tested ok, I'll probably replace it anyway for starters.

Thanks for the info Gary... I'm on my second rad cap now which was just replaced last year. I was having the same problem with antifreezed pissing. After the cap was replaced, the problem seemed to fixed, but reappeared after a few months. I'll add "cleaning the cap" to my routine maintainance. Hopefully 3rd and last cap for a while.

Back