Ugarte

Turbocharged
Ride
2005 Rocket III
Turned over the 100,000 mile mark on my 05 Rocket yesterday. That was fun to watch the entire ODO change over! This is the first, and likely the only, motorcycle I will put that much mileage on. I can't believe I made it there without having any of the big problems other Rockets of that vintage have had, I have been expecting those things to happen for years now but it just kept on plugging away like the energizer bunny. Still runs well, for the most part, but is in dire need of long over due maintenance.

For one thing it still has the original fuel filter. I have not had the valves checked since 10k miles. Its just been oil, oil filters, and tires with the exception of the ignition switch, the oil tank O rings, primary TPS, and assorted starting issues that I was always able to solve i.e. relays, bad connections, fuses, etc. I have not done any of the upgrades.

Now it is time to put it on the rack and check and adjust the valves, change the fuel filter, and finally get rid of the stock intake and exhaust. I kept it stock because I used the Rocket for long distance touring and did not want the "hear the noise", but I have another bike for that now.

It is going to be interesting to see how far out of spec the valves are, and see what the cam chain looks like. I had the paint cattle rattle up until 90k miles and then it just stopped. That was fine with me but I figured it was the calm before the storm. Never did get the storm though.

It has been a great bike and I look forward to many more miles on it.

100000.png

fantastic post ugarte! congrats. are you kidding me? original fuel filter? yer nuts! i pulled mine out at 30k and it was plugged beyond belief. in fact i cut it in half with the band saw just for fun. couldnt believe the bike was still running fine. as far as the valves, mine has never even been checked. 65k miles now, and she still runs like a top. correct me if i am wrong, but arent there many small automotive engines out there running the same type of valve train design? if true, why are valve lash checks not required for those. my rocket same year as yours, and has had the "death rattle" for years, but dissapears as soon as she begins to warm. have always enjoyed your posts, you are the man:thumbsup:

I have 70000 miles on my 05 I do share it with three other bikes that is why the mileage is so low, changed the fuel filter at about 40000 miles as I was getting some hesitation at around 120mph new filter cleared that up, changed the ignition switch (free from triumph)
I removed the stock exhaust(ugly fcuker) ten years ago and installed the famous Aussie Maddog exhaust, threw away the intake and put on triple K&Ns, had the valves first checked at 42000miles and only two needed slight adjustment still the factory installed TPS none of the engine upgrades no cam chain rattle sometimes I think people go looking for trouble when it is not present.

I have 70000 miles on my 05 I do share it with three other bikes that is why the mileage is so low, changed the fuel filter at about 40000 miles as I was getting some hesitation at around 120mph new filter cleared that up, changed the ignition switch (free from triumph)
I removed the stock exhaust(ugly fcuker) ten years ago and installed the famous Aussie Maddog exhaust, threw away the intake and put on triple K&Ns, had the valves first checked at 42000miles and only two needed slight adjustment still the factory installed TPS none of the engine upgrades no cam chain rattle sometimes I think people go looking for trouble when it is not present.

I remember when you changed your fuel filter because you posted a thread about it and I decided I would change mine out too. I bought one but was too lazy to install. But my poor bike is starving for fuel now and I cannot starve it any more. I will cut the fuel filter in half and post the disgusting results.

As far as trouble goes, I really think some, or many, of the rockets were simply not built properly or crummy parts were used. We got lucky, or maybe we are the norm and its just the internet that makes it seem otherwise.

Last edited:
Back