Microswitch under seat.

Blackthou

Nitrous
Ride
2014 Black 'n' Red R3R. RamAir, Tors, DP Link pipe
I had my seat off this afternoon and noticed a microswitch. It seemed to be mounted to the frame with a double sided sticky pad but had come adrift. I stuck it back on and ran some tape round it in addition to make sure it stayed in place and to avoid possible problems in the future.
I didn't know if it was an original fitment ie the bike wouldn't start unless the saddle was secure (same principle as prop stand) or added when my alarm was fitted.
I thought I'd better check its operation and make sure the bike started ok. The bike started both with the seat on or off. In other words, it didn't appear to do anything.
Anyone know any more about it?
Thanks.

My guess is a micro switch to the alarm if someone is removing the seat to Hotwire the bike through the fuse box.
Although I have installed micro switches on cars before as a kill switch , usually running off the cutout switch on Auto trannied cars.

Hi Wrecka,
Thanks for that, it was my first thought but the bike runs either with the saddle on or off and you can takeoff the saddle with the alarm set and it doesn't trigger it.

Hi Wrecka,
Thanks for that, it was my first thought but the bike runs either with the saddle on or off and you can takeoff the saddle with the alarm set and it doesn't trigger it.
Best bet would be to trace the wiring and see what it hooks into

It's part of the alarm - Thatcham requirement for UK alarms that makes system disabled if attempting to access the alarm module itself

I guessed that was the intention but can't figure out why the bike will start with the seat on or off and why the alarm doesn't go off if you remove the seat with the alarm active?

Is it programmable then?

Sorry - bad info there. This is hard-wired and there is no option in the controller for it.
It should not inhibit the operation with seat off if the alarm is dis-armed;
However if you arm the alarm (with seat on) removing the seat should trigger it.
If it does not trigger, then possibly the switch is broken or stuck.

Back