Michelin Commander II Question

R3Tex

Living Legend
Ride
'13 Rocket III Roadster
Not Rocket related but I know you guys ride a variety so here goes...I am changing the rear tire on my ultra classic from an Avon Cobra to a Michelin Comander II and ran across something weird (for me anyway)...instead of an arrow indicating rotating direction on the tire it has an arrow and says "rear". Does this mean its for rear tire application only or that the arrow should face the rear of the bike? Looking at the tread it looks like the arrow should face the rear of the bike, but this is the first time I've run across this. Thought?

I'd hate to get a few miles into a 3000 mile trip and have it come apart or some such because I mounted it backwards

I would use the direction that the tread is angled, with the tread @ the middle angling toward the rear as is goes to the outer edge..... On a rear tire, of course. Opposite for the front. (Not saying you don't already know that)
But I would think that would be more important than the arrow :confused: :confused: :confused:

Last edited:
Not sure on that particular tire. But pretty much all tires have the points on the center of the tire toward the direction of rotation.

I honestly never paid attention to the direction on the front tire of a motorcycle. Good thing I don't mount tires for a living... or hobby...or out of necessity =)

I honestly never paid attention to the direction on the front tire of a motorcycle. Good thing I don't mount tires for a living... or hobby...or out of necessity =)

Yup, the direction of that there rear tire pattern is designed to push her forward. Tread angle direction is backerds on the front so that braking provides stopping traction in the opposite direction to settler her on down :whitstling:

Yeah...I just went with the tread pattern. Turns out the arrow is direction of rotation, the "rear" stamp must mean for rear application...just never seen one stamped that way before. After I got it mounted and back on the bike I looked at the front tire and sure enough it was stamped "front"

did anybody ever think that when the arrow is on the bottom it points to the rear and when it is on top it points to the front:roll::roll:
o_O

Back