Metzlers with Avons?

snuffcityrider

Living Legend
In light of the official/ unofficial recall that only one person knows about on another forum and was kind enough to post, and then passed on by Markc (thank you), I'm wondering about worse case senario. If they don't have the Avons ready by my very soon up coming trip, would it be okay to run a Metz on the back and an Avon on the front? Thanks for any imput.

I've given it some thought. Last week I had a near death experience where the car in front of me changed lanes abruptly because there was a car in front of it ,stopped to turn with no brake lights or turn signal on. By the time I saw the car ( I was going 70mph) I had no time to stop. I had to make a quick transition to the other lane or eat the car with my wife on the back. One thing I noticed about the dark side, at least for me is that they don't transition or swerve if you will as quickly as a moto tire. Just wonder if I could have pulled off the same move with a car tire. I don't think I could have. I've noticed a big difference just when passing between the two how much easier it is to cut in and out of traffic and the space/effort required to do so. I know the dark sides corner great, that's not what I'm talking about here. Just my opinion. You dark siders go easy on me:)

I experienced the same thing a few days ago as I zipped down a nearly open road when some putz decided to cut right across the road in order to park perpendicular to the shoulder on my side, only he stopped dead still in the middle of my lane as he decided where to put his car. I was doing about 85 when I swerved into the opposite lane to avoid t-boning the asshat. The steering response was very slow and heavy leading to a pucker moment that absolutely would not have occurred if I was on a MT.:eek:

Slow steering response

I've given it some thought. Last week I had a near death experience where the car in front of me changed lanes abruptly because there was a car in front of it ,stopped to turn with no brake lights or turn signal on. By the time I saw the car ( I was going 70mph) I had no time to stop. I had to make a quick transition to the other lane or eat the car with my wife on the back. One thing I noticed about the dark side, at least for me is that they don't transition or swerve if you will as quickly as a moto tire. Just wonder if I could have pulled off the same move with a car tire. I don't think I could have. I've noticed a big difference just when passing between the two how much easier it is to cut in and out of traffic and the space/effort required to do so. I know the dark sides corner great, that's not what I'm talking about here. Just my opinion. You dark siders go easy on me:)
OF COURSE YOUR CORRECT the heavy steering created by the CTs is a liability I could not put up with and very dangerous in any emergency situation :(:confused:

c.t.

Mark,

you and the others are correct about transition response with the wide car tire... having said this, a narrower profile is much quicker than a wider profile. this was borne out at eureka springs when I rode the 205 darkside. I found this tire easily out handled my metzler 240 in every aspect. I know that many will say other wise and that's ok by me... just ask any one who's followed me during the rides. I'm sure they'll chime in and say for them selves.I'm thinking of a certian red/white classic with a dented tank that followed me and roni during a hard chase to catch the pack. He later repainted the bike with a really neat looking purple/raindrop and deep clear that was crazy to look at, his name is tony-mac... at any rate, what ever you decide to do, go with your gut, you'll be glad you did.

greg

Mark,

you and the others are correct about transition response with the wide car tire... having said this, a narrower profile is much quicker than a wider profile. this was borne out at eureka springs when I rode the 205 darkside. I found this tire easily out handled my metzler 240 in every aspect. I know that many will say other wise and that's ok by me... just ask any one who's followed me during the rides. I'm sure they'll chime in and say for them selves.I'm thinking of a certian red/white classic with a dented tank that followed me and roni during a hard chase to catch the pack. He later repainted the bike with a really neat looking purple/raindrop and deep clear that was crazy to look at, his name is tony-mac... at any rate, what ever you decide to do, go with your gut, you'll be glad you did.

greg
HEY WHY NOT A 195 CT could probably get one for $40 at SAMS CLUB and would Probably last for 40k miles and you know its gonna handle better than those wide tires :D

art,
He rides a classic, not an r3t. besides, you don't even own a rocket. you have no idea of what you speak of. do you?

greg

Back