Met both V-Max and Diavel on the street...

ThingKing

Child in Time
Ride
2014 R3 Roadster, 2022 Hayabusa
I spent many hours on the bike this week, and happened to meet both a Ducati Diavel Carbon, and a new V-Max on the street. Both were ready to compare themselves with a Rocket, so I did have to race both...
Currently, I got about 160+ hp at the rear wheel, using only mild tuning measures (intake, pipe, derestriction and dyno tune).
I have a big OEM windshield and bags on, which is of course a bit of a disadvantage at higher speeds. The new V-Max is 170+ rwhp, and Diavel around 130+ rwhp, both are lighter than a R3R - especially the Diavel, it's like a 100kg's lighter.

The Diavel: I encountered it on the way home after work, and he was up to race, so we did two runs from a complete stop. Both runs until about 120mph were in fact, pretty much a draw.
I was ahead by a bikelength in first gear, kept that advantage in 2nd, but in 3rd he almost came up. I won by inches rather than yards. Exact same thing happened again in the second run. After that, he was very curious with my Rocket. He asked questions about the bike and was impressed with the displacement. It seems that he felt he actually lost the race, because he put it on the difference in displacement. Anyway, to me it felt like a draw. Would have been clearer without windshield and bags, for sure.

The V-Max: I met it on a winding highway through the mountains, last Saturday. He had bags and luggage, just like me. I overtook him with a big speed difference first, and it seems that made him really wake up. He accelerated quickly, and so I found myself in a race with full luggage, going through long and fast highway curves. But here is the deal: I have full Wilbers suspension, front and back! No wobbling until 200+kph, even with luggage. So yes, wringing it out I was finally able to walk away from that V-Max, until it was totally gone from my mirrors ... and it felt great. Conquered the legend! I think with OEM shocks it would have been more difficult though.

So, all in all I cannot complain: the R3R holds it's own even against those badass bikes, with only moderate tuning. A seriously tuned Rocket would really rip them apart, anywhere, anytime.

Rode a Ducati Diavel Carbon at a dealership that was really pushing how well the bike handled. Took it for a test ride and was happy with the bike but not impressed. Any decent sport bike would run away from it in a heartbeat. Basically it is not a cruiser but a comfortable sport bike in my opinion. Was not fond of the seating position. Pick up and go from a stop believe my Rocket X would blow it away. Top in the Diavel would take it.

Last edited:
I never had anyone would race me yet, smoked sport bikes a couple times that tried to pass me, but not a real race. Best was when a kid on a 600 followed me into a parking lot and said "what the hell is that, mister?". @1olbull runs about 160 hp, we did a roll on, I had my 2004 K1200GT, from 60 to 130 mph, it was about a dead heat, I chickened out first at an approaching curve, but the K is an autobahn bike, lotta top end. He said I cheated because I dropped a gear, I didn't have the heart to tell him I dropped 3 gears. :D Different bike, different techniques.

I never had anyone would race me yet, smoked sport bikes a couple times that tried to pass me, but not a real race. Best was when a kid on a 600 followed me into a parking lot and said "what the hell is that, mister?". @1olbull runs about 160 hp, we did a roll on, I had my 2004 K1200GT, from 60 to 130 mph, it was about a dead heat, I chickened out first at an approaching curve, but the K is an autobahn bike, lotta top end. He said I cheated because I dropped a gear, I didn't have the heart to tell him I dropped 3 gears. :D Different bike, different techniques.

You F'N dog, you! :eek: :confused: :p :roll:

You must be able to ride pretty well. The V max if stock as a rock has 175-178 HP at the tyre. The forks are a bit scetchy on them though. Diavels struggle to to over 130 .In stock trim, but will do 145 with good pipes and tune.

I spent many hours on the bike this week, and happened to meet both a Ducati Diavel Carbon, and a new V-Max on the street. Both were ready to compare themselves with a Rocket, so I did have to race both...
Currently, I got about 160+ hp at the rear wheel, using only mild tuning measures (intake, pipe, derestriction and dyno tune).
I have a big OEM windshield and bags on, which is of course a bit of a disadvantage at higher speeds. The new V-Max is 170+ rwhp, and Diavel around 130+ rwhp, both are lighter than a R3R - especially the Diavel, it's like a 100kg's lighter.

The Diavel: I encountered it on the way home after work, and he was up to race, so we did two runs from a complete stop. Both runs until about 120mph were in fact, pretty much a draw.
I was ahead by a bikelength in first gear, kept that advantage in 2nd, but in 3rd he almost came up. I won by inches rather than yards. Exact same thing happened again in the second run. After that, he was very curious with my Rocket. He asked questions about the bike and was impressed with the displacement. It seems that he felt he actually lost the race, because he put it on the difference in displacement. Anyway, to me it felt like a draw. Would have been clearer without windshield and bags, for sure.

The V-Max: I met it on a winding highway through the mountains, last Saturday. He had bags and luggage, just like me. I overtook him with a big speed difference first, and it seems that made him really wake up. He accelerated quickly, and so I found myself in a race with full luggage, going through long and fast highway curves. But here is the deal: I have full Wilbers suspension, front and back! No wobbling until 200+kph, even with luggage. So yes, wringing it out I was finally able to walk away from that V-Max, until it was totally gone from my mirrors ... and it felt great. Conquered the legend! I think with OEM shocks it would have been more difficult though.

So, all in all I cannot complain: the R3R holds it's own even against those badass bikes, with only moderate tuning. A seriously tuned Rocket would really rip them apart, anywhere, anytime.

My brother ownes the 2nd gen v-max. There is no way a Rocket 3 with a pipe and tune can keep up let alone beat it.. That guy obviosly cant ride or was just toying with you.

Interesting to read this thread. I had a 1st gen Vmax and currently have a XDiavel S. Stock for stock my Diavel will run away and hide from my R3R at pretty much any speed, time or place. Even with another 30 HP I don't think my Rocket would touch the Diavel. Factor in the amazing brakes of the Ducati and it just seals the deals which one is the more capable bike.

Having said that though I really enjoy riding the Rocket. It is one of the few bikes that gets as much attention as the Ducati when I stop anywhere. It always pulls hard, even if not incredibly hard like some other bikes I own. For a big bike it handles reasonably well, and much better than I remember from my first gen Vmax. The one thing I REALLY like about the Rocket is it is so big and heavy, even adding a passenger doesn't seem to affect its acceleration much. I can put my 230# son on the back or my 90# wife and the acceleration doesn't seem to be that much different than when I ride along. Throw my son on the back of my BMW S1000RR and I can't even get hard on the gas without it trying to wheelie over backwards (thank God for rider aids on that bike. When I am going fast enough wheelies aren't an issue, I can really feel the extra weight on every second.

One plus for the Rocket too is it doesn't really encourage me to ride like a hooligan. The Ducati and BMW are always encouraging me to keep twisting the throttle. My concern if I every seriously modded this thing I'd start riding it like a liter bike. Stock it is fun even at 30. For my BMW I really start to enjoy it at 130. That isn't good situation when riding on the road and trying to keep your license.

I think the Rocket is just a fun bike that has nothing to prove. It sort of has an understated bad@ss quality about it. One of the biggest shocks for me is how cheap it was to insure. Apparently there are enough of us older, more "mature" riders on these who don't tend to crash them. It is like 1/3 the price of my Ducati to insure and it is about 1/2 of my S1000RR. That makes it practically free!

Interesting to read this thread. I had a 1st gen Vmax and currently have a XDiavel S. Stock for stock my Diavel will run away and hide from my R3R at pretty much any speed, time or place. Even with another 30 HP I don't think my Rocket would touch the Diavel. Factor in the amazing brakes of the Ducati and it just seals the deals which one is the more capable bike.

Having said that though I really enjoy riding the Rocket. It is one of the few bikes that gets as much attention as the Ducati when I stop anywhere. It always pulls hard, even if not incredibly hard like some other bikes I own. For a big bike it handles reasonably well, and much better than I remember from my first gen Vmax. The one thing I REALLY like about the Rocket is it is so big and heavy, even adding a passenger doesn't seem to affect its acceleration much. I can put my 230# son on the back or my 90# wife and the acceleration doesn't seem to be that much different than when I ride along. Throw my son on the back of my BMW S1000RR and I can't even get hard on the gas without it trying to wheelie over backwards (thank God for rider aids on that bike. When I am going fast enough wheelies aren't an issue, I can really feel the extra weight on every second.

One plus for the Rocket too is it doesn't really encourage me to ride like a hooligan. The Ducati and BMW are always encouraging me to keep twisting the throttle. My concern if I every seriously modded this thing I'd start riding it like a liter bike. Stock it is fun even at 30. For my BMW I really start to enjoy it at 130. That isn't good situation when riding on the road and trying to keep your license.

I think the Rocket is just a fun bike that has nothing to prove. It sort of has an understated bad@ss quality about it. One of the biggest shocks for me is how cheap it was to insure. Apparently there are enough of us older, more "mature" riders on these who don't tend to crash them. It is like 1/3 the price of my Ducati to insure and it is about 1/2 of my S1000RR. That makes it practically free!
My favorite bike of all time has been my two MT-01's. I'd easily buy another if the cost of registration and insurance wasn't so bloody high in Oz. The only issue with the MT-01 was that pillion comfort and touring options are non existent. The rocket is the only other bike that has put that same grin on my face...they are simply bikes that are alive in their own right with every ride being just a little better than the last.

The MT-01 is a blast. Never offered in the US but I rode when when I was living in Europe. I wouldn't have minded having one in the stable for a while. I have always had a soft spot for v-twins that can rev higher than the typical Harley. I always loved big singles too. You could always feel ever power pulse with it's suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

Back