Mechanical Questions for a 2005 rocket 111

6cyl

Standard Bore
Ride
Goldwing
Hello I am new to board and need information. Looking to buy what looks to be a well kept 2005 rocket 3. I have read on this board and others about the problems these bike are having. (I know to take a lot of this information with a grain of salt)
1 I understand a list of serial # are here that might list bikes with the trans problems with 1st -2sd.
2 A fix for ignition switch on all models.
3 Anything to out put seals being installed backwards in 04-05.
4 Anything about cam chain or gears go bad.
5 Anything with drive shaft are output bearing failure.
I like these bikes and this one has 14560mi on it. I am waiting of owner to return before I can talk to him. I would like to know more before talking to him. Thanks for any help and have a good evening.

Welcome from Michigan !

1 All 04-05's have the same second gear. Some had problems some didn't. Does this fellow know if the bike ever had the "update kit" installed by the dealer ?
2 An "Eastern Beaver" relay kit will save the ignition if it's still good. They are about $80.00
3 Some 04-05 had the output shaft bearing installed backwards so the seal was between the oil and the bearing. This would be rectified if update kit was installed.
4 Some 04-05 had this problem. Also addressed with update kit.
5 The drive shafts hold up good if the rear splines are lubed with moly grease every tire change. The output shaft bearings on my 05 went out at 50,000 miles. Some have more than twice that mileage with original bearings. A bit of a crap shoot there.

If he doesn't know if it has had the update installed, you can get the serial number off the engine and a dealer should be able to tell you if it was installed. I would not buy an 04-05-06-07-08 that didn't have the update. I believe the 09 was the year most of the problems were ironed out. Even an 09 needs an eastern beaver kit.

I've owned two 2006 models. One had the 2nd gear problem. I bought it with the problem. The other I bought new and still have it with no problems at all. I am leary of the 04-05 bikes myself. The update kit has a retail list price of $209 USD. It has about $2000 worth of parts in it. Installation has been quoted between 12 and 16 hours. You decide if the good deal on the 05 is a value as it is.

I've owned two 2006 models. One had the 2nd gear problem. I bought it with the problem. The other I bought new and still have it with no problems at all. I am leary of the 04-05 bikes myself. The update kit has a retail list price of $209 USD. It has about $2000 worth of parts in it. Installation has been quoted between 12 and 16 hours. You decide if the good deal on the 05 is a value as it is.
Thanks for the information guys. I hope to talk to owner this week about updates and bike in general.

Welcome from Michigan !

1 All 04-05's have the same second gear. Some had problems some didn't. Does this fellow know if the bike ever had the "update kit" installed by the dealer ?
2 An "Eastern Beaver" relay kit will save the ignition if it's still good. They are about $80.00
3 Some 04-05 had the output shaft bearing installed backwards so the seal was between the oil and the bearing. This would be rectified if update kit was installed.
4 Some 04-05 had this problem. Also addressed with update kit.
5 The drive shafts hold up good if the rear splines are lubed with moly grease every tire change. The output shaft bearings on my 05 went out at 50,000 miles. Some have more than twice that mileage with original bearings. A bit of a crap shoot there.

If he doesn't know if it has had the update installed, you can get the serial number off the engine and a dealer should be able to tell you if it was installed. I would not buy an 04-05-06-07-08 that didn't have the update. I believe the 09 was the year most of the problems were ironed out. Even an 09 needs an eastern beaver kit.
Very good information to have. This bike is very nice and well kept but, without updates I will not buy. Thanks and have a good day.

or offer him 4500. as is and have your shop do the update? If I can get a 2nd hand bike thats already got the acc's I want it makes sense to me, I saved 5k on my storm not having to pay for everything I wanted to have to tour on it.

Look at all the problems with the new Rockets I would buy a good used old one than the new breed maybe Triumph trying to cut corners with inferior materials but you can keep the 2010 and on.
My 2005 has over 65000miles and has never and I say never let me down had to replace the ignition switch (so does the new bikes) which Triumph gave me free of charge and my bike was three years past its warranty.

Welcome from Georgia.I got my 05 this past June and have only ridden it just over 5000 miles so far. it now has 32,000 miles on it and I the only issue I have had (so far) is the extremely dim head lights. I fixed it by installing a relay kit. I can see the light. Anyway I am so happy with my Rocket I'm not too worried about what might go wrong. I'm going to order an up grade kit and wait until I need it. Just get one you feel good about and enjoy.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will be looking at the bike this week. I'll see.

Back